Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work-life balance isn't as good as it could be, but that is probably true everywhere"
    in 106 reviews
  • "Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate"
    in 85 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good global opportunities - but only when you are senior

Accounts Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

Pros- Some really great clients
- Decent holiday benefits (start on 20 days holiday (rising to 25) + 1/2 day around bank holidays + days off between Xmas and New Year + Birthday day
- Smart and innovative colleagues
- Good training

Cons- The pay for junior staff is really poor
- People can be overlooked for promotion as MDs are just so busy and don't get much time to interact with junior staff
- The hours are long - which would be much more palatable if they pay was better
- The tasks can be thankless, boring and monotonousness for junior staff

Advice to Senior Management- Pay your junior staff something they can actually survive on

great agency if you can hack agency life

Intern (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

Proscollaborative environment
creative
fun
great perks
high budget clients

Conslong hours
very fast pace

Advice to Senior Managementdoing a great jon

Fantastic & fun place to work where real opportunities are given, but hours are long and pay is low.

I have been working at Edelman

ProsGlobal agency with incredible list of clients. Great people, all of whom are very competent and driven. It is fun and full of young people. There is a real push for people to learn and take on as much responsibility as they feel fit.

ConsResourcing is a constant problem. As with all agencies, the salaries are not high especially if they are put in relation to the number of hours spent in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to people. Winning new business is only one part of a successful company.

Fantastic place to work, with a clear company vision, great clients, and very capable staff at all levels

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman

ProsFantastic opportunities to work with some great consumer and corporate brands on interesting projects, very capable management at all levels, decent pay, days in lieu offered readily for working long hours or on the weekend, and a clearly articulated company vision bringing the company together.

ConsEmployees often work long hours, not a great pension scheme, quite a top heavy structure - there is a lack of junior support staff, and senior staff often have difficulty in pushing back on clients resulting in unrealistic deadlines and over servicing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to a bit more of a pyramid structure where there is a decent number of junior support staff, and try pushing back on clients. We should be offering strategic counsel and not necessarily doing every single thing they ask us to do.

it was ok, some stuff left a bad taste in my mouth

Accounts Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman

Prosthey have got a great eye for detail, high standards, offer opportunities to grow,

Consas a very junior employee, I was exhausted, long hours are expected. I had just started and yet they do not give staff teething time to settle in, one feels they are already being discussed at the coffee table by peers/ managers. Some of the tasks are very dull and they pounce on juniors with free time to get their tasks done. seemed a bit cuthroat in some instances. Cliquey. There are people there in their early 30s who have been there since their early twenties and probably on over inflated salaries, very nervous that juniors should pull their weight.
The economic downturn has made them nervous. Shame I left as I learnt a lot of good stuff but in the long run...it was not a good fit in terms of lifestyle or long run feel good organisation with a creative thought process and supportive learning culture at its heart.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more flexible, and supportive of juniors. Strip top level of so many overpaid managers. actually let staff leave at 5.30. They might actually be more creative. There was an element of big brother is watching which annoyed me. One had to report their every movement to the entire dept and junior staff are often managed by very young staff themselves who are insecure and put undue pressure on their subordinates.

Great independent PR company, nice family feel without the corporate restraints.

I have been working at Edelman

ProsGreat perks, promotion opportunities, global relocation available.

ConsLonger hours, but flexibility makes up for it.

Hard work, but worth it

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman

ProsGreat clients tackling major issues; a culture of innovation; focus on personal professional development; collaborative approach; friendly environment. And the new London offices are fantastic.

ConsWork life balance is poor, especially for the best people; slightly obsessed with all things digital, but the firm is a market leader in this space so they do have the right to feel proud about that

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing specific; senior management is generally in touch with the business and manages the organisation well

Great company to work for and great people to work with!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

ProsMy colleagues are all smart and dedicated to their work and the energy is contagious. Leadership genuinely cares about the employees.

ConsYou work on the demands of clients, so work loads can vary dramatically

Strong work ethic, lots of potential for growth

Account Director (Current Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe network is amazing and the opportunities to work with big global teams is awesome. The very high standard or work is also rewarding

ConsSome teams are on the small side so working at Edelman can be tough for those not working autonomously.

A lonely road for rockstars

I have been working at Edelman

ProsIt is not normal for people to spend their entire careers at one agency. But Edelman has achieved a culture where many people are happy to stay. If you are a rockstar, you can beat your own path at Edelman. You will find people who are smart, driven, creative and focused on achieving real impact in the real world. You will find a vast base of clients who trust Edelman to steward bold ideas forward. Opportunities abound.

ConsMiddle management often pays homage to "big ideas" but, for the most part, perpetuates the status quo. Talented thinkers often find a way -- but too often, they're finding a way around their supervisors. Or, just as bad, they are given a green light but no resources to achieve their goal.

Also, the cliquishness between divisions is borderline unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBust up bureaucracy. Help monetize new ideas.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 801 reviews are posted anonymously by Edelman employees.