Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 45 reviews
  • "Great client roster, great perks and plenty of opportunities for growth"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "You need to have the ability to truly own your work-life balance in bigger offices"
    in 102 reviews
  • "If you're put on a challenging account, you may be working very long hours"
    in 80 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A lonely road for rockstars

I have been working at Edelman

ProsIt is not normal for people to spend their entire careers at one agency. But Edelman has achieved a culture where many people are happy to stay. If you are a rockstar, you can beat your own path at Edelman. You will find people who are smart, driven, creative and focused on achieving real impact in the real world. You will find a vast base of clients who trust Edelman to steward bold ideas forward. Opportunities abound.

ConsMiddle management often pays homage to "big ideas" but, for the most part, perpetuates the status quo. Talented thinkers often find a way -- but too often, they're finding a way around their supervisors. Or, just as bad, they are given a green light but no resources to achieve their goal.

Also, the cliquishness between divisions is borderline unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBust up bureaucracy. Help monetize new ideas.

Great company that values interpersonal relations and tenure

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsEdelman is truly innovative; if you have an idea you can run with it. The people are genuinely nice and put clients first.

ConsCareer paths to promotions are unclear across departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare career progression guidelines and keep up the good work with hiring smart people!

Great culture! As with any employer, there's room for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros- The opportunity to work with amazing clients who highly respect Edelman
- Great company-wide client work overall. Everyone at the company is high performing and successful.
- Great internal resources to address any and every client need possible. Clients love Edelman!
- Great culture, friendly people, and great worldwide networking opportunities
- Great benefits overall (PTO on your birthday, pet adoption stipend, generous holiday schedule, great health insurance coverage, etc.)
- For an agency environment, Edelman is very friendly to career-driven individuals who want to start a family or have a family
- Great place for women in leadership positions
- The company is starting to compete more with ad agencies, integrated marketing agencies, etc.

Cons- Account team members often get "stuck" on one account because an account may require 100% of an employee's time; as a result, career growth can become stagnant
- Junior employees are underpaid (but that is also the case at most agencies)
- Because of the size of the company, great talent is overlooked and amazing people get passed up for promotion far too often. The promotion cycle is political and hurts morale.
- Lack of office and meeting room space can make it challenging to be productive
- Though Edelman is independent, it is still highly profit-driven, and I did sometimes sense that senior management was more concerned about profit than employee happiness

Advice to Senior ManagementThe industry standard is to pay junior talent a certain amount, which is pretty low, especially for the San Francisco market. I think Edelman could break this cycle and give junior workers a more generous salary, especially considering its financial health. This would relieve the pressure during the promotion cycle.

Great place to work and grow a career in communications consulting

I have been working at Edelman

ProsLots of opportunity - for growth, great client programs and great client brands
Strong teams and talent

ConsNot necessarily a con - but it's a fast-paced environment with high expectations from clients and teams.

Global exposure guaranteed

Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEdelman gives you an opportunity to work with some of the most renowned global brands across verticals and also train under seasoned industry experts.

Apart from this, the HR policies are flexible and benefits offered to the employees are helpful

ConsNo cons as such

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Management can consider expanding their digital practice presence across locations in India

Great people and quite a learning experience.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart and strategic assets to the company who hold remarkable relationships with their clients. Just the same, clients treat Edelman like a strategic partner vs. just an agency, which is a testament to the work we can do.

ConsI've seen several teams in the past few months lose team members who aren't being replaced, meaning across the board many have an even heavier workload. There are definitely employee gaps that need to be filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees where and when needed. On top of this, there needs to be improved compensation for top performers.

Accessible senior management, high turnover

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart and senior management accessible. I worked at Edelman internationally in the mid-2000s, and had a chance to work directly with the CEO. Fantastic opportunity, and I was just an account executive in my mid-twenties.

ConsLow pay and high turnover. Such is agency life I suppose.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick your people based on merit.

excellent

Contractor (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Prosthey want us to work like independent contractors

Consworking full time is a drawback

Great place to learn, grow and be challenged

Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are great - from bosses, colleagues to administrative staff. The opportunity to work across the network in other markets and collaborate closely with colleagues in other offices is great as well. The company also emphasises the need for continuous learning, so training is a key benefit. Some senior leaders also show genuine concern for their staff career development, and work towards moving staff in direction of growth. For example, helping them specialise in certain areas or connecting them to a specialist in the area for mentorship.

ConsDespite being the largest PR agency in the world, Singapore, etc., and having some of the best known brands in the world as clients, there is still a relentless push and drive for new business to meet targets. These targets are presumably KPIs set for senior management, but they put very heavy responsibility on consultants - from CEs to Managers to do the bulk (sometimes ALL the heavy lifting) on new business. This, in addition to an already heavy client workload. There is no reward for non-directors if the targets are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm is growing too fast and I fear that this rapid evolution will cause Edelman to lose alot of what I think makes it stand out. People will burn out and leave and Edelman will need to rebuild its talent base from scratch, lose quality people and its reputation for quality thinking and execution.

Big Talent Big Ideas

EVP (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsWickedly talented and smart colleagues. Creative risk takers who think differently to solve client needs. Collegial, fun, casual. Great community. As a private company the firm invests in takent and stays ahead of the tech curve.

ConsNothing substantive. Growing fast and need more office space asap. Preferably in our amazing building.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrab more office space in the building. Improve the cafe! Keep hiring great talent.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 798 reviews are posted anonymously by Edelman employees.