Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work-life balance isn't as good as it could be, but that is probably true everywhere"
    in 106 reviews
  • "Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate"
    in 85 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Inspiring

London, England

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

ProsEdelman is widely regarded for its Trust Barometer, which not only distinguishes the firm but acts as a foundation for much of the work the agency does. As a fiercely independent but still leading and very international operation, the culture, the people and the clients that Edelman retains are truly inspiring.

ConsFor all of the reasons I just mentioned, the bar on quality is very high at Edelman. This is obviously a good thing, but obviously also does create a certain amount of pressure to always be better than the day before. There's a certain amount of stress that goes along with that.

Overall a great place to work...

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFantastic environment, brilliant teams to work with, engaged forward thinking in terms of PR and the PR enviroment.

ConsNot focussed on the support staff (Finance, HR, Facilities/Office Management); can be bureaucratic; internal comms aren't always as strong as they could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that there is good succession planning in place and that there is consistency in how this is put in place.

It's all about the incredible people you get to work with. Buckets of opportunity, but you need to know the right people

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsGreat CEO and company ethos, has the right thinking and approach. Clever, fun and interesting people to be around and work with. Creatively inspiring and able to move with the times and adapt. Cultivates an entrepreneurial attitude in everyone.

ConsIt's an agency so there are long hours. Different market locations have different vibes, and as with all places internal politics can be hard to navigate. A handful of senior leaders have their own interests before the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in internal communication and ensure it's not just the same senior people you get to see, talk with and listen to.

Challenging work in familiar atmosphere

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsEdelman is a key player in the public relations industry. As an employee you get the chance to handle big clients, work on challenging projects and enjoy great teamwork. Edelman also offers a lot of training as well as exchange opportunities. Compared to other agencies, this employer puts a strong emphasis also on the work-life-balance of the employees.

ConsOverall in the industry, the payment is considerably low especially considering the sometimes long hours and overtime is not compensated.

The best of the best

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people, the quality of clients, the resources, travel opportunities, big budgets.

Cons- It seems like it's hit or miss in terms of quality managers - some are great, others are dreadful.
- Little work/life balance; long hours.
- Promotional cycles are too limited.
- Offices are open space and we all sit way too close to one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training required on a regular basis for managers so that we maintain quality; better HR departments.

Good start of a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

ProsInterns are delegated important and valued work and feel like part of the team. Edelman is a great start of a PR career, at least it gives you the insight one would need before entering the industry. Lots of talents and highly collaborative environment, very international environment (but this can be a cons though...)
Management level staff are very cool and friendly, very willing to teach

Thumbs up for the company culture.

ConsYou either get really free or super busy, but hey, welcome to the PR industry!
Perspectives of the company not local enough...this MIGHT be because of the very high expat ratio in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep what you are doing, as an intern I really can't complain!

great company

I have been working at Edelman

Prosamazing firm, exciting to work for, always want to be the best - but in a good, ethical way

Conssame as any large firm

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edelman full-time

ProsGood values established from company founder. You walk in and sense the family ethic, majority of people are friendly. Decent benefits the longer you are with the company.

ConsThe good values are fading fast. The place is full of managers thinking they are top VIP's. The power has gone to their heads. Leadership unable to handle PR pressure and often shout profanities over conference calls or to assistants. Senior staff have no problem in being rude and will happily make you feel as if you can't do your job, terrible as your obviously there as you are fully qualified. You do get a sense that people openly gossip for a pass time. Many middle-aged senior women seem like they could have been top editors or working in fashion PR and missed the boat. The creative division has tarnished the reputation of the company as the senior staff are erratic, many mood swings that makes it impossible for individuals to concentrate and work. Very weak HR team. Induction is a booklet to read on the morning you arrive. Took nearly a week to get a second hand laptop set-up and basic blackberry. Terrible disappointment for a global PR firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a strong HR team. Management should look at the reputation of the company and the people that are giving the place a bad name. Address behaviour issues with senior staff and offer training/ counselling to heads of divisions to teach them ways of dealing with pressure, and how to treat people with respect.

Good opportunities

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThrow you in at the deep and and allow you space to grow

ConsExcessive hours, will screw you on salary given a chance.

Thought leaders.

Human Resources BP (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsIndependent
Family oriented
Leading the way in PR/Public Engagement

ConsUK has been without a CEO for some time. This is now due to change.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 801 reviews are posted anonymously by Edelman employees.