Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

Edelman support staff experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEdelman employees are mainly really positive and upbeat about the company they are working for and the work they do. The ethics of the Edelman family appear to resonate throughout the whole organisation

ConsLittle acknowledgement of the back office staff from management. If you cannot input to the creative process there are few opportunities to get you abilities or skills recognised as beneficial.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget the importance of the support services who although not revenue makers are pivotal to the success of the process.

Horrible, agressive, combative atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsBIG - lots of budget for things like training. Good perks. Great pay.

ConsHorrible management only concerned with squeezing clients for money, and employees for work. Senior leadership pits managers against each other, creating a non-collaborative and aggressive atmospherel

Inspiring

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsEdelman is widely regarded for its Trust Barometer, which not only distinguishes the firm but acts as a foundation for much of the work the agency does. As a fiercely independent but still leading and very international operation, the culture, the people and the clients that Edelman retains are truly inspiring.

ConsFor all of the reasons I just mentioned, the bar on quality is very high at Edelman. This is obviously a good thing, but obviously also does create a certain amount of pressure to always be better than the day before. There's a certain amount of stress that goes along with that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a great place to work...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsFantastic environment, brilliant teams to work with, engaged forward thinking in terms of PR and the PR enviroment.

ConsNot focussed on the support staff (Finance, HR, Facilities/Office Management); can be bureaucratic; internal comms aren't always as strong as they could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that there is good succession planning in place and that there is consistency in how this is put in place.

It's all about the incredible people you get to work with. Buckets of opportunity, but you need to know the right people

Director (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat CEO and company ethos, has the right thinking and approach. Clever, fun and interesting people to be around and work with. Creatively inspiring and able to move with the times and adapt. Cultivates an entrepreneurial attitude in everyone.

ConsIt's an agency so there are long hours. Different market locations have different vibes, and as with all places internal politics can be hard to navigate. A handful of senior leaders have their own interests before the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in internal communication and ensure it's not just the same senior people you get to see, talk with and listen to.

Challenging work in familiar atmosphere

ProsEdelman is a key player in the public relations industry. As an employee you get the chance to handle big clients, work on challenging projects and enjoy great teamwork. Edelman also offers a lot of training as well as exchange opportunities. Compared to other agencies, this employer puts a strong emphasis also on the work-life-balance of the employees.

ConsOverall in the industry, the payment is considerably low especially considering the sometimes long hours and overtime is not compensated.

The best of the best

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsThe people, the quality of clients, the resources, travel opportunities, big budgets.

Cons- It seems like it's hit or miss in terms of quality managers - some are great, others are dreadful.
    - Little work/life balance; long hours.
    - Promotional cycles are too limited.
    - Offices are open space and we all sit way too close to one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training required on a regular basis for managers so that we maintain quality; better HR departments.

Good start of a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInterns are delegated important and valued work and feel like part of the team. Edelman is a great start of a PR career, at least it gives you the insight one would need before entering the industry. Lots of talents and highly collaborative environment, very international environment (but this can be a cons though...)
    Management level staff are very cool and friendly, very willing to teach

Thumbs up for the company culture.

ConsYou either get really free or super busy, but hey, welcome to the PR industry!
    Perspectives of the company not local enough...this MIGHT be because of the very high expat ratio in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep what you are doing, as an intern I really can't complain!

great company

Prosamazing firm, exciting to work for, always want to be the best - but in a good, ethical way

Conssame as any large firm

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood values established from company founder. You walk in and sense the family ethic, majority of people are friendly. Decent benefits the longer you are with the company.

ConsThe good values are fading fast. The place is full of managers thinking they are top VIP's. The power has gone to their heads. Leadership unable to handle PR pressure and often shout profanities over conference calls or to assistants. Senior staff have no problem in being rude and will happily make you feel as if you can't do your job, terrible as your obviously there as you are fully qualified. You do get a sense that people openly gossip for a pass time. Many middle-aged senior women seem like they could have been top editors or working in fashion PR and missed the boat. The creative division has tarnished the reputation of the company as the senior staff are erratic, many mood swings that makes it impossible for individuals to concentrate and work. Very weak HR team. Induction is a booklet to read on the morning you arrive. Took nearly a week to get a second hand laptop set-up and basic blackberry. Terrible disappointment for a global PR firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a strong HR team. Management should look at the reputation of the company and the people that are giving the place a bad name. Address behaviour issues with senior staff and offer training/ counselling to heads of divisions to teach them ways of dealing with pressure, and how to treat people with respect.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!