Edelman

Updated 17 December 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

it was ok, some stuff left a bad taste in my mouth

Current Employee - Accounts Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Accounts Executive in London, England

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

they have got a great eye for detail, high standards, offer opportunities to grow,

Cons

as a very junior employee, I was exhausted, long hours are expected. I had just started and yet they do not give staff teething time to settle in, one feels they are already being discussed at the coffee table by peers/ managers. Some of the tasks are very dull and they pounce on juniors with free time to get their tasks done. seemed a bit cuthroat in some instances. Cliquey. There are people there in their early 30s who have been there since their early twenties and probably on over inflated salaries, very nervous that juniors should pull their weight.
    The economic downturn has made them nervous. Shame I left as I learnt a lot of good stuff but in the long run...it was not a good fit in terms of lifestyle or long run feel good organisation with a creative thought process and supportive learning culture at its heart.

be more flexible, and supportive of juniors. Strip top level of so many overpaid managers. actually let staff leave at 5.30. They might actually be more creative. There was an element of big brother is watching which annoyed me. One had to report their every movement to the entire dept and junior staff are often managed by very young staff themselves who are insecure and put undue pressure on their subordinates.

Great independent PR company, nice family feel without the corporate restraints.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Great perks, promotion opportunities, global relocation available.

Cons

Longer hours, but flexibility makes up for it.

Hard work, but worth it

Current Employee - Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Great clients tackling major issues; a culture of innovation; focus on personal professional development; collaborative approach; friendly environment. And the new London offices are fantastic.

Cons

Work life balance is poor, especially for the best people; slightly obsessed with all things digital, but the firm is a market leader in this space so they do have the right to feel proud about that

Nothing specific; senior management is generally in touch with the business and manages the organisation well

I worked in Edelman Shanghai as Talent Acquisition Manager, it has great leadership and culture

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good career development, respect employees effort and hard work, encourage them to be creative and be the industry leader

Cons

more budget for recruitment would have been nice, I had to do direct sourcing for candidates and they always demand for the best in the market!

Best experience I've ever had working for an agency!

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here is great because managers really make you feel appreciated. "Thank you" and "Great Job" is expressed often and the sense of teamwork is always present. Managers help you plan your goals and (even better) help you achieve those goals by putting you on the right clients and getting you the experience you need to grow. There are tons of learning opportunities within Edelman including trainings, workshops and seminars. People who work here are really some of the smartest people I've ever met and they are very invested in pulling you up with them. This is an ethical company that I can really say I am proud to be a part of. They treat their employees with respect and are always looking out for employee's best interest.

Cons

The only con I have with working here is I had to make a lateral move to get my foot in the door and I really think they should pay their entry level staff a little bit more. But I see myself growing here and hope that promotions will make up for the entry level salary I am currently receiving.

Pay your AEs and AAEs more money. It will make them stay much longer.

overall good experience

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of intelligent people
    nice office location & building
    great benefits (health, vision, etc.)
    good amount of holidays/PTO offered
    room for growth and flexibility to transition internally to other offices/depts

Cons

poor work/life balance - you need to be able to put your foot down with colleagues and management and ask for time off, flexibility to work from home, etc.
    open office environment - everyone sits in a cubicle right on top of each other
    high turnover - lots of restructuring - constant change

take the time to pat your employees on the back some more. let them know they are valued and are an important part of the team especially during times of restructuring.

"Home of the most creative minds in the PR Industry"

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internally, Edelman provides all the necessary resources for successful client-facing results.

Cons

Senior management can lack with open communication between interns and position opportunities.

Great colleagues, very disappointing seniors - too selfish, blinded by success, can´t take criticism.

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

international company, many career opportunities

Cons

very bureaucratic, not open minded, old-fashioned

Tough, Burnout Culture

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Big name accounts
    Fast-paced nature
    Tons of responsibility (though little incentive)

Cons

Bad senior management who is only held accountable on P&L performance - not quality of management or performance of current accounts
    Absolutely no type of formal staffing model
    Work is never evenly distributed
    No work/life balance
    Negative reputation among clients as "salesy"
    Low pay, little incentive for long hours employees put in

Take a look at real consulting or law firms and tweak your business model. Also consider holding your senior management accountable for the way they manage their teams. The "high turnover" rate is perhaps what hurts our reputation most, yet nothing is done to improve management.

Sr. Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work for.

Cons

Not always a happy place.

Pay attention to all employees