Edmonds Community College

Updated 13 January 2015
4.1

Jack Oharah

IT Analyst/IT specialist IV

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lynwood Center, WA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Lynwood Center, WA (US)

I have been working at Edmonds Community College

Pros

Very easy, relaxed, good benefits, (almost) free class, decent pay

Cons

No incentives so nobody wants to improve, everyone is complacent--you will become like this.

Managers are not in control of any of my complaints, so I don't really have any advice to give

Friendly & helpful environment with lots of new teacher support & materials

Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I have been working at Edmonds Community College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful teachers, administrators, & staff who were all really supportive and helpful. They have a lead teacher who will help you prepare for everything, from the syllabus and curriculum, to lesson plans and activities!

Cons

The shared common work room was a new concept for me. Although I fully understand why they need that (so many teachers throughout the day and no way to provide personal computers for everyone), it was annoying and time consuming to put all of your stuff away and take it out before/after every class (if they can find you room in a cupboard). Also, some computers may or may not be actually hooked up correctly to printers, etc. Other than that, I felt attendance was an issue (perhaps because it is a community college and not a university?) more so than other places I've taught. Next time, I would be stricter.

Great people to work with, I enjoyed working there very much. Management was the best. A great learning experience.

Former Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in Edmonds, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in Edmonds, WA (US)

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility with scheduling, payroll was always on time and correct.. Knowing that I was a part of students success was very rewarding.

Cons

Very hard to get a permanent position due to the union. Lots of red tape. high turn over. you can end up feeling like a little fish in a big pond.

Help employeeys understand ways to work around the red tape.

Positive work place atmosphere and supportive of study

Former Employee - Tutor in Edmonds, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Tutor in Edmonds, WA (US)

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible and easy to schedule around your quarter classes, no pressure to work more hours than you can handle. Management is nice and easy to approach, no one will snap at you for getting sick last minute or lowering hours due to stress. Really great place.

Cons

Not so much Edmond's itself but coworkers aren't always the hardest working. I had to pick up the slack for other tutors a lot because they'd ignore the request board hoping someone else will take it up. Can't really report it and it makes the workload uneven at times. Not really a big con though, since I enjoyed talking with people and helping them out.

Maybe be a bit more stern on lazy worker, because there are a few who will take advantage of the kindness of upper management.

Student Tech. Volunteer - October 2012 thru December 2012

Former Intern - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Former Intern - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I worked at Edmonds Community College as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My contribution to the team; testing, documentation, procedural writing (publication). Communication as a group brought about new personalities and leadership.

Cons

Competition; loose sight of what the point actually was. insufficient amount of training; schedule timing learn as you go it was a benefit in the end.

Keep going; I believe in you.

Great Benefits and Dedicated People

Current Employee - Instructor in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing management, people, and everyone is passionate about their job.

Cons

Being a part time employee it's hard to know when/what classes you are teaching until the very last minute.

Listen more to the younger generation and their ideas of making a department better.

A good start to my education and professional career

Current Employee - Writing Assistant in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Writing Assistant in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid-back, easygoing work environment. My supervisor was very adapt at both running her department but not over-working or stepping on the staff.

Cons

Pay was low at the time, but it was part-time student work. I felt like there was no room for growth without first finishing my studies.

No real advice here, everything seemed to run like a well-oiled, if large, machine.

Educational; documentation and application testing specialist.

Former Intern - Student Technology Advisement Resource Team Volunteer in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I worked at Edmonds Community College as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about documentation writing and creating testing scenarios.

Cons

Looking for more hands on software testing results.

Compliment to management; strong team!

Amazing place to work for! (No doubt.)

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honestly, this space right here would NOT fit all the things I found great about Edmonds Community College. Having both studied and worked at the college, I can say that Edmonds Community College has the following strong suits and values:
    - Great Work Environment and People
    - Organized Company Structure and Systems
    - Work/Life Balance, Travel Opportunities
    - Clear Vision, Mission and CORE Values
    - Clear teaching directions & committees
    - Great health care benefits and training
    - Career Advancement / Growth Opportunities
    - Great Payscale for almost every level at the college
    - Great 10-year / long-term plans and strategies
    - ...and so many more!!!

Cons

Edmonds Community College has expansive ways to grow according to its potentials...
    It has changed from being constructive to being more collaborative as an organization. Therefore, these changes have to be supported at every level and in every department at the college... Many efforts and investments have been done, however, there are still some many inefficient pipelines that can be reduced.

I am overall satisfied with my career and study journey spent at Edmonds Community College.
    I encourage my fellow friends looking at this review to join Edmonds Community College. I definitely would recommend it with an open set of arms and heart! :-)