Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there(in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family(in 14 reviews)

• Management, hours, job security(in 12 reviews)

Neutral

ProsManagement is great and tries their best to keep the team satisfied.

ConsCompany focuses on and places more value into enrollment/admissions as opposed to Academic Counseling/Advising so that we can retain our best employees as well as see our students persist.

Upper management seems disconnected, at times I feel that the people making the decisions at the top really need to consult with employees for best practices.

Great Corporate Support and Friendly Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsEthical and talented group of employees. Time-off policies are employee friendly. Compensation was very competitive. The training was outstanding.

ConsWork-life balance not ideal. Declining enrollment and increased competition from less-expensive online universities created widespread workforce reductions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrue transparency throughout the organization should be key to employee engagement and talent management!

Good Company

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ (US)

ProsGood work hours and great people.

ConsToo much emphasis on getting students in after the deadline...like on the DAY the classes start.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the students choose their start date.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Analyst - Bottom up review.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsCompany is a much better place to work than I expected. People are smart and care about the educational mission. There is significant opportunity at EDMC for those driven and willing to accept responsibility. The company desperately needs people who can execute and are committed to seeing things through. If that's you, there your options are vast.

ConsLimited collaboration across business units or functional areas. There are strong personalities in senior/middle management who 'know what's best and to hell with the rest'. The company is moving toward data-driven decision making but needs strong advocates to push this along.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be successful the company needs to break down silos and encourage collaboration. There are too many line drawn between functional groups (IT and 'The Business') as well as the individual ed systems ('The Brands').

Company in Transition

ProsVery talented workforce; driven to do the right thing; great work ethic; good pay; company mission is something that is easy to champion

ConsBenefits have quickly deteriorated (used to be very good); corporate culture changing - used to be collaborative but now everyone is trying to protect themselves; company has been short-sighted in looking for ways to become more efficient - only looking at layoffs; much larger savings could be realized by hiring the RIGHT staff and diving into major process change. C-Suite has ballooned with very high-priced people and high-priced consultants at the expense of rest of the company - major change is needed in management. Need to bring in true business process leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to your staff. They understand better than anyone what needs to be done to right this ship - you are woefully underestimating your own staff's strengths and capabilities. Own up to your bad decisions and work to correct them - not repeat them...it is IMPOSSIBLE to cut your way back to profitability!

Great

ProsWork hours.
    People.
    Environment.

ConsZero. I thought everything about this company was pretty great.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

It put food on the table

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

ConsTedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMade a great salary on the "matrix" which they say never existed. Decent benefit package

ConsEnough pressure for a nervous breakdown, they want you to say or do whatever to get a student to enroll. Once a student "posts" in an online classroom they owe money. They suggest students attend an online school who don't even have a computer or who can barely pass a basic reading assessment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all of the pressure and try to do the right thing. Also, smirking in the midst of group layoffs is completely inappropriate!

Do not apply to them

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS (US)

ProsNone, they do not care about employees

ConsThey do not care about the employees, only how much money they make

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!