Education Management Corporation

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros:
  • "The Human Resource team is helpful and the employee benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
  • "There is great work life balance at EDMC as long as you are meeting your goals"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Job security lacking, you don't know far ahead of time about class assignments"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great job under the right department and manager.

Recovery Specialist (Former Employee)
Greentree, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, great co-workers, generous paid holidays. high earning potential by reaching collecting goal each month.

ConsDishonest management, too many frequent layoffs, lack of respect for non managerial employees time and previous accomplishments. They only allow 10 mins breaks, demands nearly 200 calls a day in an 8 hour work shift, with a monthly goal of collecting larger amounts of money ranging from 15k-100k. They have a system where if you do not hit you monthly goal in four months they will terminate your employment, stating your not meeting thiere performance goals. In addition at any point in your journey whether your a long time successful employee or not they can tell you they have to terminate your employment due to "things not working out" "budget cuts" and also "combination termination". Its a very unstable workplace to try to build a family or . You can only really financially plan your future 3 months at a time working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people not robots.

Worst job of my career.

I worked at Education Management Corporation

ProsDecent pay for entry level positions.

ConsFocus on sales and numbers. I worked for the "Art Institute" branch of EDMC. The Associate Directors of Admission positions were a total joke. While this is really a completely entry level sales position, the title is inflated in an effort to convince unsuspecting student targets that they're speaking to a higher up in the organization. There is a focus on getting NUMBERS of students enrolled and no focus whatsoever on the quality of those students. This is an online school, and ADAs are encouraged to convince people to enroll, even knowing that those individuals don't have (and can't afford computers).

More work than you will ever want, not really worth it

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

Prosdecent pay. good benefits. My co-workers are my family.

ConsIf you have a family, you will never see them. You will work saturdays, evenings. Upper Management (EDMC) which controls the campus I work for is pretty much clueless, greedy, inconsistent in implementing the frequent policy change. They won't let go of abusive higher management because they make their "numbers". Hostile working environment. This company is hemorrhaging and there have been frequent layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees! Out workloads have doubled! We are stressed out and cannot keep up with the frequent policy changes.

Working for a school that is partly owned by an investment bank is an exercise in contradictions

Instructor (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood toys for teachers and opportunities for teaching experiences

Conselimination of as many positions and benefits as possible

Advice to Senior ManagementEducation for profit- Really? Maximizing profit and maximizing education can be mutually exclusive at times. Which master will you follow?

EDMC

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

ProsTeammates, Academic Counseling and Advising Managers and Directors.

ConsSalary for Academic Counselors and Advisors are lower than the salaries for Admission Advisors while more employees that are a part of the Academic staff have obtained or are working on graduate degrees. Layoffs.

Good employer despite poor public image

I worked at Education Management Corporation

ProsGood coworkers
Good base compensation plans for senior resources
Great bonus package for senior resources and management
Great technology footprint

ConsWork load can be crazy and expectations are not always rooted in reality.
Some departments are micro managed
Ongoing legal troubles

Be sure to understand for-profit education

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with prospective students and families and helping them to achieve school/career goals was very rewarding. The admissions team was a dynamic mixture of people that I will likely never find anywhere else. I worked specifically for the art institutes and loved the degree programs and felt good about the education that was being offered to the students I was enrolling.

Consapplication and student enrollment goals put a lot of pressure of supervisors and president. I sometimes felt that it was all about numbers and not really about the students. the tuition is ridiculously high and in most cases students will leave school with mounds of debt. career statics are disclosed but in my opinion the averages were too low. although many students got jobs after graduation, the average salary was about $26 while program tuition was above $86. the company also hires third party vendors to give contact information for ADAs to call. These "inquires" are often not really interested in the school they were merly applying for jobs and their information was forwarded to the school. these kinds of inquires can be difficult to deal with and can be discouraging.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on longterm goals not just making the next months start goal. keep the quality of education the top priority and the applications will come.

Not bad if you are in the right department

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule, good starting salary

ConsConstant layoffs, big brother atmostphere

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Director of Admissions

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

ProsNational company, good pay, building was nice

ConsManagement sucks, profits over people,

Stay away

Senior Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Prossalary. really beyond that there was nothing that was good about the company. they did not care about the little guy, only the big dollar.

Conseverything else. Upper management did not know what they wanted to do and put extreme amount of pressure on everyone

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 227 reviews are posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.