Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there(in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family(in 14 reviews)

• Management, hours, job security(in 12 reviews)

Review of BMC, which is under EDMC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed all the perks that this company offers, such as tuition assistants, EDMC Perks website, and PTO. For the most part I enjoyed working here, I was given opportunity to make myself worthy and challenged day in and day out.

ConsEmployees were overworked for what they got paid. I was in a smaller school setting with about 250 students and my job was cut, Records Assistant, and so my boss had to take over all the duties which she is already doing Registrar and HR duties. It was unfortunate that my job was cut but if management actually looked at what was being done it was a stupid move.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop over working your employee, this is one reason why there is a high turnover rate.

Stepping Stone

Accountant/Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Proswork-life balance good, flex schedule

Conslow ceiling for potential growth.

good student job positions

Librarian (Student Worker) (Current Employee) North Hollywood, CA (US)

ProsIf you are a student at Ai, its helps alot by having an on campus job at your school. Its extra finances that could help you and since you are there for long hours anyways. Helps you recognize faculty and staff, directors, and even students

Consits an average salary job just to help you get by. Not that many positions and you have to prove that you financially is within a range that needs the source of income.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good corporation to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits - insurance, paid time off, holidays

ConsGovernment scrutinizes for-profit schools so our work can get bogged down in red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to stop paying the lobbyists to change the government's mind. Put the money back into the students and reform

Great place to learn and advance your skill set

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsWith such a wide range of products / projects being worked on at any given moment, there is so much to learn. You'll be a better person just 6 months into working here if you are motivated and willing to learn.

I will and have recommended friends and family to work here, as I see first hand just what experience can be gained from this business.

ConsWith the current political administration's attacks on for profit education, it's hard to say where we are going currently and where we will stand in the next coming years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged with employees in keeping them in the loop at where the company projects are going and how it'll benefit the company. All to often projects happen with no understanding of what and why it's happening.

Good experience just the company is doing awful right now

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsDecent pay, use to be better before they got rid of the matrix that gave you commission, fun people to work with, solid benefits like 6% company match and health insurance.

ConsMandatory overtime if you are stuck on the phone with a student, 300 dial days, mass layoffs. There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time. The school just sold its Art Institute of Pittsburgh building for extra money and is leasing it out, not to mention its stock price has dropped a ton because of the recent government regulations. Also lots of lying to students to get them to enroll. I remember my manager once talking to a student and told him he understands the students situation because he himself has 2 kids, even though he had none. When I confronted him on it he called it "relating to the student."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better people to run your company at the higher up level

Going downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ventura, CA (US)

ProsAll operations under one roof, good materials, competent workshop instructors

ConsOutdated inefficient IT department, lack of Senior Management and HR, inability to change and adapt to new technologies

A Student of AI

Student Tutor (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA (US)

ProsEducation was mediocre. Only stayed because of some esteemed teachers and how interested they PERSONALLY were with their students. If it wasn't for them-- there is no reason I would have stayed.

ConsI was a tutor at this place. Work was alright but I think the reflection upon my own financial state is of more importance here.

Education Management Corporation is exactly as others have said: completely unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely add a portfolio requirement and accept only students who have a CHANCE of doing something with the education they receive at the Art Institutes.

EDMC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsPotential to return to the values the company was founded on.

ConsExecutive Management has not taken the time to personally know the greatest assets EDMC is divesting itself of; the many employees who have worked so hard to keep the company afloat.

When Rif's happen, HR and management say it's just business, not personal. Perhaps this is the larger problem EDMC needs to address, it should be as personal to management as it is to that employee that their decision has just affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep out of your office, get to know the people who are working to ensure the company's success - your lack of visibility contributes negatively to the gossip and environment. Try hiring Executive Management that actually have an Education background.

A perfect combination of fear and futility.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsA great service for students by providing a flexible and convenient opportunity to pursue their degree. The online classroom is very user-friendly and can be effectively operated by even a novice computer user.

The benefits provided to employees were very good.

ConsThe focus is said to be on the students. The focus is instead on the number of students. Admissions staff is encouraged to harass new applicants with outreach attempts to obtain students. If a potential student says "No" that is just for that individual moment in time as they will be called for the rest of their lives trying to find that exact moment in time when, for some magical reason, they will say "Yes" and want to enroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt they can read this. Senior Management was promoted through the ranks from their previous results as staff when the operations first started, not for their ability to lead, create change, vision, and or strategy.

Leads need to be targeted to actual potential students. Degree programs need to be focused to students that can actually use the degree programs instead of magically twisting the coursework to somehow find a small way that it can be used for the students. Case in point: we have students that click on banner ads to become an EMT online. Really? Really! This is not possibly. Also, one does not need a degree to become an EMT, they need to be certified by the state. EDMC will badger this person for the rest of their life trying to cram this student into a degree program that will not get them to be what their stated intentions were.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!