Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

A Student of AI

Student Tutor (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA (US)

ProsEducation was mediocre. Only stayed because of some esteemed teachers and how interested they PERSONALLY were with their students. If it wasn't for them-- there is no reason I would have stayed.

ConsI was a tutor at this place. Work was alright but I think the reflection upon my own financial state is of more importance here.

Education Management Corporation is exactly as others have said: completely unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely add a portfolio requirement and accept only students who have a CHANCE of doing something with the education they receive at the Art Institutes.

A perfect combination of fear and futility.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsA great service for students by providing a flexible and convenient opportunity to pursue their degree. The online classroom is very user-friendly and can be effectively operated by even a novice computer user.

The benefits provided to employees were very good.

ConsThe focus is said to be on the students. The focus is instead on the number of students. Admissions staff is encouraged to harass new applicants with outreach attempts to obtain students. If a potential student says "No" that is just for that individual moment in time as they will be called for the rest of their lives trying to find that exact moment in time when, for some magical reason, they will say "Yes" and want to enroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt they can read this. Senior Management was promoted through the ranks from their previous results as staff when the operations first started, not for their ability to lead, create change, vision, and or strategy.

Leads need to be targeted to actual potential students. Degree programs need to be focused to students that can actually use the degree programs instead of magically twisting the coursework to somehow find a small way that it can be used for the students. Case in point: we have students that click on banner ads to become an EMT online. Really? Really! This is not possibly. Also, one does not need a degree to become an EMT, they need to be certified by the state. EDMC will badger this person for the rest of their life trying to cram this student into a degree program that will not get them to be what their stated intentions were.

Great Corporate Support and Friendly Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsEthical and talented group of employees. Time-off policies are employee friendly. Compensation was very competitive. The training was outstanding.

ConsWork-life balance not ideal. Declining enrollment and increased competition from less-expensive online universities created widespread workforce reductions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrue transparency throughout the organization should be key to employee engagement and talent management!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Neutral

ProsManagement is great and tries their best to keep the team satisfied.

ConsCompany focuses on and places more value into enrollment/admissions as opposed to Academic Counseling/Advising so that we can retain our best employees as well as see our students persist.

Upper management seems disconnected, at times I feel that the people making the decisions at the top really need to consult with employees for best practices.

Worst decision of my life was taking a position here.

The Center (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsSalary above average for the higher education field.

ConsThey don't understand who their students are or what student success really means. Health benefits are awful. If you aren't management you are restricted as to what you work. They don't understand work/life balance. People do not understand how higher education works. You never get positive feedback. Nobody wants your resume with EDMC on it. It's nothing but a call center operation. They admit students who are not qualified just to receive title IV funding. Students enroll only to get stipends and EDMC doesn't care as long as they get the student loan funds. They break Title IX law on a regular basis. It's a shame the students don't understand their rights. Should be more lawsuits filed against them. They take advantage of underrepresented groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an understanding of who your students are and understand that employees need a work/life balance. The Center should be eliminated as the majority of people managing it have no clue about student needs or higher education law.

Business Analyst - Bottom up review.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsCompany is a much better place to work than I expected. People are smart and care about the educational mission. There is significant opportunity at EDMC for those driven and willing to accept responsibility. The company desperately needs people who can execute and are committed to seeing things through. If that's you, there your options are vast.

ConsLimited collaboration across business units or functional areas. There are strong personalities in senior/middle management who 'know what's best and to hell with the rest'. The company is moving toward data-driven decision making but needs strong advocates to push this along.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be successful the company needs to break down silos and encourage collaboration. There are too many line drawn between functional groups (IT and 'The Business') as well as the individual ed systems ('The Brands').

Good Company

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ (US)

ProsGood work hours and great people.

ConsToo much emphasis on getting students in after the deadline...like on the DAY the classes start.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the students choose their start date.

Great

ProsWork hours.
    People.
    Environment.

ConsZero. I thought everything about this company was pretty great.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

ConsTedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

It put food on the table

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!