Education Management Corporation

Updated 25 September 2014
Updated 25 September 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 16 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 15 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst decision of my life was taking a position here.

Former Employee - The Center  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - The Center in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary above average for the higher education field.

Cons

They don't understand who their students are or what student success really means. Health benefits are awful. If you aren't management you are restricted as to what you work. They don't understand work/life balance. People do not understand how higher education works. You never get positive feedback. Nobody wants your resume with EDMC on it. It's nothing but a call center operation. They admit students who are not qualified just to receive title IV funding. Students enroll only to get stipends and EDMC doesn't care as long as they get the student loan funds. They break Title IX law on a regular basis. It's a shame the students don't understand their rights. Should be more lawsuits filed against them. They take advantage of underrepresented groups.

Get an understanding of who your students are and understand that employees need a work/life balance. The Center should be eliminated as the majority of people managing it have no clue about student needs or higher education law.

Good Company

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Chandler, AZ (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work hours and great people.

Cons

Too much emphasis on getting students in after the deadline...like on the DAY the classes start.

Let the students choose their start date.

Great

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Work hours.
    People.
    Environment.

Cons

Zero. I thought everything about this company was pretty great.

Keep up the good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It put food on the table

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons

-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Have a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

Cons

Tedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

Terrible

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Made a great salary on the "matrix" which they say never existed. Decent benefit package

Cons

Enough pressure for a nervous breakdown, they want you to say or do whatever to get a student to enroll. Once a student "posts" in an online classroom they owe money. They suggest students attend an online school who don't even have a computer or who can barely pass a basic reading assessment.

Stop with all of the pressure and try to do the right thing. Also, smirking in the midst of group layoffs is completely inappropriate!

Do not apply to them

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Kansas City, KS (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None, they do not care about employees

Cons

They do not care about the employees, only how much money they make

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - National Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - National Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

EDMC does pay well and offers a fair benefits package in most cases.

Cons

The industry is facing enormous issues, coming under scrutiny from the federal government. EDMC's priorities are profits, not students which can be a difficult moral dilemma for employees. In most cases, there is not room for growth or personal contribution to the company.

This job has been interesting and rewarding at times but overall is enough to give you a nervous breakdown!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting projects, opportunities to develop solutions that make coworkers tasks more efficient and less challenging, opportunities to work with cutting edge technologies and innovative business process improvements.

Cons

Work-life balance is pathetic. More and more positions are being cut because the company has financial issues. However, the demand continues to grow as upper management pretends that we are not in trouble and continues investments in new products and services.

Please choose one road or the other. Either we are downsizing in which case we need to stop all investments and implementations and just keep up with what we have, OR, we are going all in to turn this company around and get back to profits. You cannot continue to cut IT groups in half while INCREASING the workload. This philosophy is simply burning out the great employees and we can only do this for so long without giving up.

A company in major transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company does provide a decent salary with a good amount of PTO. The 401K match is also the highest that I have seen.

Cons

There are going to be more layoffs this year. The environment is not stable and there is no growth.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!