Education Management Corporation

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

Cons

Tedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

It put food on the table

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons

-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Have a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

Do not apply to them

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Kansas City, KS (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None, they do not care about employees

Cons

They do not care about the employees, only how much money they make

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Made a great salary on the "matrix" which they say never existed. Decent benefit package

Cons

Enough pressure for a nervous breakdown, they want you to say or do whatever to get a student to enroll. Once a student "posts" in an online classroom they owe money. They suggest students attend an online school who don't even have a computer or who can barely pass a basic reading assessment.

Stop with all of the pressure and try to do the right thing. Also, smirking in the midst of group layoffs is completely inappropriate!

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

located in Pittsburgh, continued education IF you are employed

Cons

CEO, all departments are getting cut

Get a new CEO

This job has been interesting and rewarding at times but overall is enough to give you a nervous breakdown!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting projects, opportunities to develop solutions that make coworkers tasks more efficient and less challenging, opportunities to work with cutting edge technologies and innovative business process improvements.

Cons

Work-life balance is pathetic. More and more positions are being cut because the company has financial issues. However, the demand continues to grow as upper management pretends that we are not in trouble and continues investments in new products and services.

Please choose one road or the other. Either we are downsizing in which case we need to stop all investments and implementations and just keep up with what we have, OR, we are going all in to turn this company around and get back to profits. You cannot continue to cut IT groups in half while INCREASING the workload. This philosophy is simply burning out the great employees and we can only do this for so long without giving up.

A company in major transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

This company does provide a decent salary with a good amount of PTO. The 401K match is also the highest that I have seen.

Cons

There are going to be more layoffs this year. The environment is not stable and there is no growth.

Good and Bad

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Started out as a great work environment.

Cons

Corporate leadership has deteriorated over the last several years. Insecure future for the employees.

Stop concentrating on profits only.

Time to Move On

Current Employee - Student Finance Counselor
    Current Employee - Student Finance Counselor

Pros

Staff at local campuses are awesome. Highly motivated and truly loyal and dedicated to the mission of the company and helping students get a solid education.

Cons

Corporate has hired outside groups to run almost every aspect of the local campus. What used to be a thriving educational system has quickly deteriorated at the hands of centralizing almost every aspect of the enrollment, financial aid, advising and business departments. Local staff are no longer able to fully support and help students as necessary because these outside groups and corporate themselves want to have their hands in everything. Salaries are low in comparison to what the job requires. an estimated 90% of employees at the local campuses, including top executives and department directors/chairs are constantly job searching and bragging about making it to second and third round interviews. "Everyone" wants out, but there seems to be no place to go so morale slowly drains.

Fire CRC and stop this centralization non-sense. The local campus is completely capable of managing the buisness and day to day acitivitie in a professional and efficient manner. Increase everyone's salary to what they deserve, not just admission representatives some of whom receive twice what other department chairs earn. Listen to your employees. Don't just hear the words, but truly work to understand the meaning and then implement their strategies. We work on the floor every day. We are not in an office 200 miles away. What looks good in a board meeting does not always translate into practical aplication. CEO, go on undercover boss and see what it is actually like to work each department; you would be amazed at the deficiencies the policies and proceedures management has installed has brought to a once thriving company.

Upper management needs to be letgo and true leaders need to be brought in to replace.

Current Employee - Admissions Representative/Academics  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative/Academics in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Salary rewarded on matrix free bachelors degree

Cons

Management, hours, job security. Unethical practices. Guilty of what they are accused of.

Stop favortism. Do your jobs and

Work with people to help train and develop them. Stop hiring friends as managers it's not working.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!