Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

www.epri.com
Profile Unclaimed

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) Reviews

Updated 24 February 2015
Updated 24 February 2015
3.1

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) President & CEO Michael W. Howard
Michael W. Howard

Pros
  • The employees are very devoted to their research, but the company allows healthy work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Will let you work from home anywhere, so nobody sees what you are doing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Less young employees than other Silicon valley companies (in 3 reviews)

• Poor upper management that came from outside the organization and have little if any understanding of how and why the work gets identified and done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

EPRI Employee Comment

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have read other comments and just want to offer my two cents. Having been in two energy companies for decades, run my own business practice and done a nonprofit start-up,I have been around corporate and nonprofit America for some time. I am pleased with the EPRI organization. I have found doors open for viewpoints and the ability to get involved and help on solutions. I have already recommended EPRI to others.

Cons

Every organization always has to keep an eye on efficiency, communications, talent, finances, etc. It is a challenge across most all companies and nonprofits.

The reputation of EPRI in it objectivity is a key to the good name it has built. Keep our eye on that ball, as we have in the past.

Management is disconnected from average workforce, advocates safety but often does not follow through

Current Employee - Project Manager in Knoxville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Knoxville, TN (US)

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility of work schedule, salary is average but not low enough to look for another job, great caring coworkers, the local HR tries to be helpful and if they can't help they are always good listeners.

Cons

Our leadership team is totally disconnected from the reality of what is going on in our offices, and sets unrealistic goals for which they do not enable us to meet. As an example We had an ice storm on Feb 16. The office closed in the afternoon and was closed on Tuesday Feb 17. There was no delay on Wednesday the 18th despite schools, courts, day care, churches, everything completely closed, and the roads were still icy. The Knoxville facility was covered in ice, the driveway, parking lot and sidewalks, and was not safe to walk on. They even showed a video of a coworker falling Wednesday when they were trying to get into the building and reminded us of a safety goal our executives have that affects our bonus if someone gets injured. So they told us to not get hurt. Regardless of how flexible the inclement weather policy is, if the building cannot be made safe for us to go to work without slip hazards then they need to close the office. Don't threaten our bonuses for falling on an icy sidewalk because it wasnt scraped or salted enough.

The employee survey showed very little trust in senior management and executive team. Please don't forget about the 800 people who help keep this company going. Help us create the safety culture that is talked about every time in meetings.

A good place for self-motivated project managers

Current Employee - Project Engineer/Scientist in Knoxville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Project Engineer/Scientist in Knoxville, TN (US)

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, some cutting-edge work, good opportunities for advancement in management, well-respected by utility industry. Somewhat flexible; a great place for self-motivated types. Very stable environment.

Cons

Offers poor resources for early-career employees to develop technical expertise.

In a strange middle-ground between academic research and industry--can feel like an ivory tower (disconnected) while still feeling the pressures and corporate culture of industry (focus on productivity squashes creativity).

Work-life balance can be easily overwhelmed in management roles.

Conservative culture mirrors some utilities, with few women and minorities in technical roles.

A serious effort needs to be made to foster professional development, especially for early-career employees in technical roles. Educational courses and externships would be highly valuable.

Employee distrust of management will only increase as the use of corporate buzzwords in company communications increases. Executive absence from offices adds to the perception that they are disconnected from employees.

Not a good experience overall....

Current Employee - Anonymous in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

The compensation is average but high for a non-profit. Benefits are good. The company itself is pretty good but the cons listed below overshadow the admirable mission and good points.

Cons

Where do I begin? Culture is brutal. At the lower levels it is a pretty friendly collaborative culture but the bullying from the director level has gotten way out of hand. In spite of poor survey results, lost talent and feedback on the issues nothing really ever changes. If these issues were dealt with the company would be a great place to work. However, don't hold your breath. Leadership is rather out of touch so that may contribute to the management dysfunction that paralyzes the organization.

You can't reach your potential if you don't have the right people. The company needs leadership. Stop assuming that just because they were hired or promoted they are the best fit for EPRI. Deal with your hard management decisions and let the company move forward. One bad manager is not worth your entire talent pool.

Fairly Good Research Organization

Former Employee - Project Manager - Fossil Power Generation in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Worked on interesting Engineering Research projects.
    Interacted with knowledgeable technical professional in the field.
    Learned research project management.
    Attended and participated in many different professional seminars and events.
    Good research environment.

Cons

Too much theory, more practical experiments are needed.

Management need to let project team to practical experiment in the field to gain the inside problem of the participated members.

Terrible corporate culture

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Honestly none. Compensation is mediocre. Good luck moving up.

Cons

It's hard to work when all everyone does is pass the blame to the lower ranking guys

Because you're in upper management doesn't mean you treat them however you please.
    That explains why the "trust" in the company was a 48% in a survey

Bad place to work if your in IT

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Supports training, co-workers are skilled and hard working

Cons

Communication, management, very little growth potential, Long term vision, Low salary

Officers should review the REAL what, where, when and why's of the overall health of the IT organization. There needs to be a true stewardship of the IT Organization as a whole. It would be an eye opener to see what is really going on under the covers.

Going downhill fast!!!

Pros

Decent benefits (401k, paid time off, health insurance)

Cons

The corporate culture is not befitting of a non-profit company, pay is below industry averages, little opportunity for advancement, horrible work life balance. This used to be a nice place to work, but has gone downhill and continues to at an exponential pace. Upper management WAY out of touch with reality, most of whom should never have been promoted into these positions. The only image of management that comes to mind is fat cats rubbing there full bellies, while the worker mice try to fight over the fallen crumbs.

Stop reorganizing the company as often as the wind changes, be honest and stop backstabbing your employees, invest in your people not your processes.

No direction

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer/Scientist in Lenox, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer/Scientist in Lenox, MA (US)

Pros

Challenging and interesting projects. Ok work and life balance. Good place to start or end your career if you are in the right EPRI circle. Not much advancement in the long run.

Cons

The management matrix is failing. The management is constantly reorganizing itself. I've seen a lot of good, very intelligent folks leave good paying positions due to poor management.

Salary is stagnant for most while the upper management receives incredible bonuses for a non profit organization.

Stop promoting caustic bullies to the director level. Realize the talented engineers and researchers that are carrying the organization.

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) Photos