Emerson

Emerson Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr

David N. Farr

Pros:
  • "The work life balance at Emerson is excellent"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Work Environment is good for the company"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Career Growth and Work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "down sizing, cost cutting, lay offs, Great Job till they started to make cuts and lay off sales force bc of changes with HD (customer)"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company

Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than a year

ProsCaring manager and interesting work place.

ConsPromotion might be difficult to come across if you dont know the right string

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more respect for the new hires, they are also the company future. In the long run they might be as important as the oldie

Nice place to work for experienced IT professional

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than a year

Pros-Flexible time
-Nice people
-excellent work culture

Cons-Management especially HR functions are poor
-Not employee friendly company in terms of policy laid down

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees before laying down any policy. Sometime HR people become adamant while issues are very small.

ClosetMaid is a wonderful place to work overall.

Quality Technician (Former Employee)
Ocala, FL (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent opportunity to advance and be promoted. Good pay for the area (cost of living) and other comparable jobs in area. Fun picnics too. Lots of training and ability to move up within certain areas.

ConsSometimes, qualified applicants within the company are passed over for outside applicants. Not always able to offer a flexible schedule. Employee reviews have no real meaning since everyone scores the same with the same comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook harder at internal employees for promotion, even if they do not apply for a promotion.

past worker looking back on things

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat place to work straight out of college. gained valuable experience, and had great role models. still keep in touch with those ex coworkers

Consdown sizing, cost cutting, lay offs, Great Job till they started to make cuts and lay off sales force bc of changes with HD (customer). balance of role with customer to keep sales force on

Advice to Senior Managementpay based on experience, and reward those who go the extra mile

Felt Valuable

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a lot of opportunity to grow since the company is so huge. They have several Business Groups that you can transfer to in case you're not happy with your current group. They value their employees and tries their best to provide what the employees want.

ConsI don't know if it's really a significant cons but you don't get to put a face in the name. Since the company is global, you get to work with a lot of different people from defferent countries whom you will never see in person unless you get to visit their site or they visit yours, which seldom happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou may improve on the benefits since we're always on the middle range in terms of salary and benefits compared to other huge global companies. Nevertheless, you are doing a good job!

Opportunities to grow in a very well established Fortune 500 company with a strong presence in St. Louis

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than a year

ProsThe rotation program for MBA's is a great track to leadership, and you will be moved all over the US or the world in two year rotations. The move across Emerson divisions allows for a diverse and well-rounded experience in all aspects of the business.
Emerson is a Fortune 500 with strong global presence, the communications with people across the globe are enticing and interesting.

ConsEmerson executives and top leadership fit the same demographic - male, MBA recruits from either Washington, SLU, sometimes Purdue, with an engineering background, who enjoy golf and football.
There is a strong 2nd generation bias, so leaders typically recruit and promote those who are similar to themselves, contributing to the strong demographic mentioned above. The women to men ratio in some departments is about 1:25 or lower, with all of the administrative assistants (secretaries) being women.
In some aspects, working at Emerson can be similar to an episode of MadMen.

That aside, change and processes at Emerson is very very slow. There is a long chain of approval, therefore many opportunities come and go wasted in the process.
Salaries are typically low at Emerson, the vacation policy is weak, and the response to those who request a salary increase based on increased performance has been diversion or denial, which is causing many to leave the company and look for opportunities elsewhere where their work is more valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpress enthusiasm for and hold in a higher regard the leadership qualities of women, even though they may be different than the styles of others.
Listen to employees, be susceptible to change and react quickly.
Address problems and requests as they occur, don't pass the leadership to someone else where it sits on a desk.
Offer more support for those in minority groups, promote diversity, and judge high potential based on work ethic and performance, not by the school the employee went to.

fun work - well under median pay

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 5 years

Prosfun work environment, clout of the corporate, good edu benefits if you want to stay long term, one of the few companies that still has a pension, reasonable working hours, rarely any overtime

Conswill not match median pay, pay depends on division, so this may not be true for your division.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people what they are worth.

fantastic experience

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood pay and environment and work mates

Constoo much stress and pressure from top

Excellent corporate culture, experience will differ by business unit and division

Marketing Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMarket leader in the businesses in which they participate.
Focus on creating value for customers and investors -- through revenue growth and cost containment.
Consistent corporate culture due to continuity of leadership over the last 50 years (3 CEOs).
Data-driven approach minimizes politics, at least as much as can be expected.

ConsCulture does differ by business unit and division. Your experience in one location can be drastically different from another.
Performance evaluation process is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove faster on acquisition integration. Stamp out politics at the divisional level to reflect the culture at the corporate level.

Best company I ever worked for.

Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee)
Danbury, CT (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay was good, the work was fun and I worked with a great group of people. I would recommend it. I was really disappointed when I was laid-off.

ConsThere weren't really a lot of negatives, just that there is heavy travel and miles on your car. Otherwise it was really good.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people know what is going on.

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!

Emerson Videos

Emerson – Why Work for Us?

What We Do Emerson brings together technology and engineering to create innovative solutions for customers in a wide range of industrial, commercial, and consumer markets. What Emerson provides: • Reliable and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Emerson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Emerson CEO David N. Farr. All 150 reviews are posted anonymously by Emerson employees.