Aéropostale
www.aeropostale.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Way overworked! Not given tools to succeed.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

ProsSomewhat decent pay for retail.
earn one personal day a month.

ConsNever given enough hours,to properly run store.
Direction from home office is never consistent
Don't have an effective training program.
ridiculously long hours you are required to work during holiday
Low price point men's a constant battle with cheap customers.

I was hired by Aero thinking there would be a lot of opportunity, boy was I wrong. The company offers littles opportunity for advancement unless you just want to move to a higher volume store. Store managers are given little freedom to actually run the store. the DM spends all of their time micro-managing instead of working to help train the managers.
They recently made changes to management head counts so many stores are required to run with only 2 full time managers. I was hired and left in a store with a newly hired AM as well and left to fend for myself without help from the DM on how to run the store. And if you are down a manager you will get no help from others stores, the SM is expected to work all of their hours as well as the management hours of the manager you are short(even if it is just bc your manager is on vacation)
The company is constantly running and changing promotions that are confusing to the customer( once we even changed promotion half way through the day).
Also the black out dates for not being able to take vacation are worse than any other retail place I have worked, bc in addition to what is listed in the handbook the dm and rm will just make up days that you can't take vacation (ie last day of the month, last saturday of the month, spring break, mothers/fathers day weekend, Easter weekend)
If you are thinking of leaving your current retail job for aero(especially in the St. Louis/Kansas City/Springfield area) I would try to do as much research as possible and try to talk to people who work or used to work there. it won't be hard to find many who used to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide enough hours for stores to run effectively and successfully.

Zero Strategy

Associate Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros: -Truly a friendly bunch of people. Hardly any 'bitchy' fashion types -good work/life balance -if… Cons: -Only way to get promoted is to stay much longer than necessary, or to get an offer elsewhere and hope for a counter. -no marketing strategy… Advice to Senior Management: -fire yourselves, and hire people who understand what a strategy is and how to implement one. -The nepotism is demoralizing, and you are losing talented people… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A lot of work for managers

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time

Pros: The salary is very decent Cons: not enough payroll to accomplish ANYTHING, too many markdowns and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Aéropostale.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aéropostale reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson. All reviews posted anonymously by Aéropostale employees.