A Place for Mom

www.aplaceformom.com
  www.aplaceformom.com
There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

I love it and it one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had.

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

You can make your schedule flexible, but you need to work over 40 hours to make this job work for you. Expect to put in 60-70 hours your first year. The families love your help; it is very reqarding.

Cons

I don't think a lot of new advisors coming on board quite get the resources that are available to families so developing trust is key. You have to be the expert. Many people are hired from a sales background with little to no senior background work so they tend to be money and numbers driven which is not what this field is about. The sales process is extremely slow which is to be expected in this kind of sales.

Manage is great! They listen to what we say and try to take what we say and implement it. I think they do a great job.

114 Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom (View Most Recent)

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

A great training week in Seattle. They spend a TON of money to make you feel like an asset to the company. They parade in all of the upper management to tell you that you are coming in on the ground level of the greatest opportunity you will every come across.

Cons

Once you leave Seattle, everything changes. From the policies you signed to the training they say they are going to give you.. nothing is what they have told you. If they say you can make 50 to 60,000, that is after at least two years and with being commission only you are digging yourself out of the hole for those two years. They will tell you in training that they are on your side and will help you in anyway possible...that is a lie....you will receive plenty of leads, but only less that 1% are viable, and of that less than one percent they are not moving immediately, are not financially able (due to selling a house etc.), or are looking at a non partner facility. A Place for Mom sets you up for failure. Stay away!!!! Wait until a true viable job offer comes to you. This is not the place for you or your family. They have hired in my training class of twenty, nineteen college degreed adults and treat us like uneducated children. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!! THEY WILL BE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!

Management needs to have a better training program in place. They need to tell new advisors the full truth during the interview process (being sued, training expectations, the true salary) so that a future employee can make an educated decision. They need trained trainers. Not people hired off the street who have never done the job (Elder Care Advisor). No one in this company has been here since its inception. They do not acknowledge the lawsuit that they loss. Management has a backwards approach to new hires.

Enjoyable job, Poor Practices

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor
    Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

APFM provides advisors with laptops, headsets, and some significant training in Seattle. The substance of the job is rewarding personally, and can be potentially be rewarding financially.

Time can be "flexible", but be prepared to work much much more than a standard 40 hour week. (50-60 hours per week is more realistic).

Advisors who have been with the company for several years can easily make six figures.

Cons

Unqualified Leads - roughly 80% of leads that I received were not looking for senior living, or are unable to contact. Rather than spending time advising families and working with communitites, most of my time was spent dialing dead end phone numbers and pestering people who did not even want to talk to me.

Technology - while you are provided with a computer and headset, at least twice a week the phone systems would be shut down or unusable. New advisors were sent home with non-functioning phones, and it took several days for them to be fixed. Many advisors were not able to participate in training due to tech issues.

Compensation - very low compensation during training perdiod, and it takes months upon months to pay back the draw. A "ramp up bonus" is available, but the company decided halfway through the quota period to cut roughly 21 days off of the time frame you have to achieve the bonus. Not a single Advisor attained the bonus in my group. Advisors must drive extensively at least once a week, and are paid only $0.10 per mile.

Training - while the week of training in Seattle is pretty comprehensive, once you get home communication is inefficient. Management changed deadlines and requirements very frequently. During the final weeks of training we were notified that we had one week to bring our "grades" up to par or we would be terminated. These "grades" were not mentioned until the last 2 weeks of training. New advisors are held to an unrealistic standard, and expectations are not clearly communicated.

Of 24 employees in the training group, only 3-4 are still employed after 90 days. I think that statistic speaks for itself.

The new management seems like they have some great ideas and the company seems to be on the edge of growing a lot. In a year or two, I'm sure the company will look much different. But they need to focus on removing the barriers to advisors becoming successful. In my time I have encountered nothing but roadblocks and Catch 22's. They are experimenting with many new ideas, but do not seem to consider the reprecussions of implementing a bad idea, even if it is just temporary.

Sean is a great leader, and inspiring to talk to. I would love to work for him, but I do not think he understands the magnitude of the issues facing new advisors and how betrayed they feel. I also would like to see him try to live on a stipend of $1,650 for a few months...

There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom