AECOM

www.aecom.com
  www.aecom.com
There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Management and leadership of the company's domestic and international security services offerings

Former Employee - Senior Director
Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

AECOM is a good company with great diversity in the global marketplace. They have a very strong body of assets that can contribute from across the company's portfolio to meet contract requirements.

Cons

As with any large company, the size of AECOM is also its negative. Decisions, direction, and requests must go through an exhaustive process for approval. Such process can add to the overhead and schedule of any project.

873 Other Employee Reviews for AECOM (View Most Recent)

Good for project management experience, bad for technical experience

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

low stress, high pay, vacation time

Cons

lack of interesting work, difficult to get technical work, sense of apathy in all staff

none

Waiting in line to die

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get a paycheck every other week. It's enough to survive in Manhattan on.
    The projects are actually decently interesting. I have learned a lot, and gotten some good experience for my resume ;-). And now that my 401k vested, it's time to put that experience to work.

Cons

The company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent.

Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do.

The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money.

Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

Cash out while you can, and buy that house in Bermuda. This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM