There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

You're Just A Number

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Arlington, VA (US)
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Convenient location near public transportation, cool staff, friends, steady paycheck, gym in building. Have I reached the 20 word minimum yet?

Cons

Share some of the downsides of working at AECOM? "Soul-crushing" and "you're just a number" are the most accurate descriptions of AECOM. When I was laid off last year during one of their many rounds of lay-offs, my manager wasn't even present.

I was with a former operating company that just celebrated its 100th anniversary. Post-merger and after months of mind-games, bending over backwards in the name of "AECOM values", and countless wasted hours spent on pointless "team-building" meetings, I was let go. When AECOM fires you, you have 15 minutes to vacate the premises, and you can't say goodbye to anyone unless they're near your desk. Some random HR representative, that you've never met hovers near you until you leave. If you don't leave within 15 minutes, security is summoned.. And to me, a company that treats you that way when you leave never really cared that you were there in the first place. Employees who were with the previous operating company, some for 20+ years, were just unceremoniously discarded. It's heartbreaking.

At AECOM, you are a number, not a valued employee with a personality and experience. Just a number.

Advice to management? Read these reviews.

812 Other Employee Reviews for AECOM (View Most Recent)

Yearly corporate restructuring

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, large projects, and opportunity to relocate.

Cons

Lack of leadership at a local level, too many changes make it unstable.

Stick with a plan for a few years before making changes.

My Career with AECOM is Great!

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Broad range of project types and locations provide good opportunites - especially for entry level and mobile emloyees. Appropriate pay and very good benefits package. Great work enviornment, friendly staff, and access to excellent mentors. Lots of room for growth and advancement. Opportunities to relocate worldwide. Recognition that people are the most important asset.

Cons

Publicly-owned company means the focus on financial results seems to overide employee satisfaction. A little heavy in the executive offices with lots of management. It seems that new initiatives and policies are constantly being rolled out. Company appears to be doing everything it can to cut costs.

Please recognize the current morale issues and subsequent employee retention problems.
    We are losing good staff and their experience due to the perceived morale issues, and I believe they are just that, perceived, but without being addressed effectively perceived issues become real in employees minds. There is not a bottomless pit of potential employees in our market so if nothing is done, we'll lose more good employees, and with minimal qualified people to replace them will lose our share of the market in our location.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!