There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

OK company

Current Employee - Senior Bridge Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Bridge Engineer

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

potential of high profile projects

Cons

bad management. Few manager with good engineering backgound

860 Other Employee Reviews for AECOM (View Most Recent)

Getting worst before it gets better!!

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mega projects and good benefits.

Cons

The middle management promotes among themselves even if it does not make sense. Why will promote a person that have not won any work for the office, why? They have to many young middle management people with no experience or connections. Everywhere that I go is the same thing, you win projects because you prove yourselves as competent and experienced on matter not because you are the president of such and such association or because you know the president of this other association and go golfing with him. AECOM middle management does not have the know how therefore they can't win.

Stop the nonsense and start hiring seasoned experienced people and please let go of the top salaried people (it is killing the morale).

clients are upset and looking to other enginering firms.alot of our expertise has left

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

it is a job and fellow employees are good people , the few that are left

Cons

The company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent.

Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do.

The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money.

Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it. When business is down, it is still best to treat employees with respect. We (the employees) all want the best for our clients AND each other.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM