Need new direction

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and I only see my direct supervisor a few times a year so I am able to run the store how I see fit.

Cons

Lately corporate has been micro-managing the stores. We also use the slogan "Service is our best part." but we never have enough payroll to make that happen. We are more focused on numbers at every level. Our motto used to be "sell more parts, have more fun." Back then it was a funner place to work and the company did better financially. Now we drill down every figure possible. I appreciate having the reports capable of seeing how my team is doing, but putting so much emphasis on it is hurting moral. Also, the computer infrastructure is about 20 years behind.

Advice to Management

Get back to having fun and raising moral and you will see better results in sales. Please quit staffing stores to the minimum hours. If you continue to do this you will have the minimum sales.

reviews filtered by

NOT SO GREAT ANYMORE

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with AAP for over almost 4 years. Met some great customers and have built solid relationships. Taking care of my commercial customers with the right parts so they can be successful is rewarding.

Cons

Well where do I start? Seems within the middle to last part of 2012 there have been MAJOR hour cuts and MAJOR micro-managing. Company does not seem to know what direction to take. GMs are puppet managers. I am the Commercial Parts Pro (CPP) at my store and have to help out on the front end CONSTANTLY including checking batteries and engine lights and this is frustrating to my commercial accounts that are spending big $$ with us 5-8k per week for just one account. Have lost several accounts because of this. I have been told they can walk in to Napa or another competitor and don't have to wait on the commercial parts guy to get off the retail counter or get done checking a engine light. Part of our FREE services by the way. Ignite sales reports are demoralizing the team and making part time team members feel they are worthless. Corporate wants sales $$ but cuts staffing. CDL is a JOKE. You can be outside for 30-45 minutes with customers doing our FREE services and not get $1 in sales. Yet CDL is based on sales. LOL. Yet there will be a line with 5 to 6 paying customers and 1 guy at the counter. People walking out because of excessive waiting. AAP use to have it together but now I will be giving my notice within the next several weeks. Too much inconsistency.

Advice to Management

It all starts at the top. One thing for sure....leave your commercial team alone and stop using them as front end help. We are the ones that brings in the $$. Its in commercial hard parts, not wash and wax. Let your GMS be GMS. As long as they follow company policy and procedures that is fine. Get rid of CDL. It does not work. It might also help if the GMs have a little parts knowledge. I have worked with 8 different managers in 4 years and only one of them used to be a technician such as myself. No surprise to me that he has one of the highest store sales in the company. The rest have came from banks, Kmart, Dell, etc.

retail parts pro

Current Employee - Manager in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good hours for retail company

Cons

no real money for the type of work