Airbnb

www.airbnb.com
  www.airbnb.com
There are newer employer reviews for Airbnb

Caught in the middle between satisfied and dissatisfied

Current Employee - Customer Service Team in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Team in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have met some genuinely nice people and good friendships have formed as a result of working there.

Cons

There's only so much change a person can work with and not feel overwhelmed by. Hyper-focused on constant innovation, which makes it difficult to really know what works for the employees and the customers. I hear a lot of burn out stories and suppose it's affecting my morale too.

Pay attention to the dropping morale among all teams; don't just hear what you want to. Invite conversations about the morale issues and ideas of what you can do to raise it and keep it up.

94 Other Employee Reviews for Airbnb (View Most Recent)

A frat house with a lot of macs

Current Employee - Current Member of Remote Team in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Current Member of Remote Team in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-fabulous product - the ability to help everyday people expand their income and make friends around the world; it's really a wonderful thing that is changing the world one reservation at the time
    -The ability to work from home from your first day of employment (if you're in a remote position, but even the SF-based employees can work from home one day a week).
    -depending on your job, a new Airbook laptop for your use
    -quarterly travel credit (although they put a bunch of restrictions on the use of it, which sort of makes it feel like a rebate)
    -the actual Airbnb hosts out in the world, for the most part, are really interesting and remarkable people
    -The Customer Support team is full of genuine, friendly, smart, and reliable people.

Cons

Many employees do not receive health insurance or other standard full-time benefits until 6 to 12 months after they begin work with the company, so do not be fooled by the shiny promises on the jobs page. I have had 4 different managers in 1 year and none of them had/have the experience or skills to effectively lead a team. (Leadership is not having a big ego or ordering people around.) No one's word means anything at Airbnb. People say one thing one day and then the next day they do a different thing. This is not me being resistant to innovation or change. I'm talking about basics like meetings you've set up, human resources issues, or even just responding to emails. You really can't rely on anyone to do what they promised. People don't communicate well and there are few people who take responsibility for their actions. People with no experience or expertise make decisions that make absolutely no sense to the people putting those policies into effect. Management rarely communicates to the employees who have to execute these changes nor the community of users who rely on the site what they are planning to change. Airbnb is losing the group of hosts who first joined them before it was a cause celebre, the ones who helped them get where they are today, and it's a shame. It's also losing smart, devoted employees who are tired of being subject to the whims, empty promises, and poor management skills of their supervisors. If you are a smart, mature person with integrity you will have a hard time here because most of the employees are not grown up and do not value or possess critical thinking skills. There's so much more I could say, but these are all the things I wish I had known before I accepted a job there. Working at Airbnb has been a real disappointment.

Hire middle and upper managers that have actual experience managing people and a proven track record of expertise in their field. That is what it will take to move Airbnb from a startup to a mature company. Core Values is great and all, but what would be better is actually training the staff on how to communicate effectively. Go back and talk to the hosts who were the first 10,000 users on the site. I think you will find that many of them are disillusioned and frustrated.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is young and friendly but also extremely smart. Free breakfast, lunch & dinner. Happy hour every Friday. $500 travel credit every quarter. Great culture and still feels like a start-up.

Cons

Pay is pretty low and not everyone gets stock options.

There are newer employer reviews for Airbnb