Altria
www.altria.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Company is too focused on young employees. Unrealistic monthly projects.

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Bedminster, NJ (US)

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 10 years

Proscompetitve salary, company car, health insurance, profit sharing

ConsIn order to be promoted, a TSM must be willing to relocate. Many seasoned employees are not able to relocate. The company is now focused on very young, inexperienced college graduates and it is promoting them too quickly. Many of these new hires are making very good salaries and are great at computers but know nothing about life, sales or human nature. Most believe that they are amazing and that the world owes them everything because they are now managers and make a lot of money. However this has caused a lot of resentment in the organization. Many of these managers will do anything to get ahead. The company used to be a great place to work. However now it is just a job. It is difficult to reason with people who don't have a mortgage, don't have a family to maintain, don't have responsibilities besides work and who for the most part have never worked anywhere else. They expect this to be a lifestyle instead of a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs more and more of the seasoned employees retire, this company is moving in the wrong direction. For all of the "smarts" that the new hires bring, they lack life experience, sales skills, personality, compassion........ Management should think about our company values first and select leaders for managemnt positions. Please stop selecting people who will kill each other to get ahead and yes you to death.

An overall enjoyable experience

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Altria full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: The role of a Territory Sales Manager provided great work / life balance and great benefits (profit sharing, health… Cons: Cigarettes, 80% of their business, is an ever declining market which has created an atmosphere of no job security. There is also a major lack… Advice to Senior Management: Know where you are going and what you are doing before you send out initiatives to the sales force: Millions of dollars are wasted in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Amazing experience that can't be beat

I have been working at Altria as an intern

Pros: Salary, company car, vacation, people Cons: pressure by team leaders to sell more Advice to Senior Management: they're awesome Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Altria.

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altria reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Altria CEO Martin J. Barrington. All reviews posted anonymously by Altria employees.