There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

Cons

Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Advice to Management

Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

reviews filtered by
  1. Software development engineer for amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great people, scalable systems and pet friendly

Cons

I like the culture so there are no pros.

Advice to Management

nothing

2. Best place to work with and hassle free environment.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee friendly management. one can easily project their achievement and hard work without any hindrance

Cons

less visibility over the top level management.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com