Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Better than your average sweat shop!

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGood benefits. Very sharp people, cutting edge (with some blood flowing). Excellent hiring bonus. There are excellent "pockets" of staff -- but they tend to be the exception and not the rule.

ConsStill suffers from high turnover with staff. Lack of significant experience in management result in a lot of pro-forma decisions and little empathy. There is a general feeling that employees are temporary (and will voluntarily or involuntarily move on) once they slip out of the top 40% of performers. Most recruits are straight from University and as a result, tend to be accepting of abuse that is common in grad schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your IT people growth -- Amazon profit margin is dropping towards negative fast. Shareholders may push for cuts -- and IT personnel costs is a big target. If you do any IT layoffs, this may result in the best moving on quickly elsewhere....

Amazon (Site Merchandising)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: Constantly challenging and fast paced means never being bored at… Cons: Politics, lack of upward mobility No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big… Cons: Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's… Advice to Senior Management: Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!