Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Good Solid Company to work for but employee work performance seems to be only based on your production rates.

Pros

Amazon.com is a very solid company growing larger every day with a lot of potential for advancement and a long career.
Very good benefits...

Cons

In my opinion, the biggest con of working at Amazon.com was Amazons production rates system - you have to meet a minimum rate of work which is ,of course, understandable because items have to be stocked on the shelves and orders need to get shipped out to customers but it's constantly thrown at you from team leads/managers,"get your rate up!" I feel that Amazon gets a little over zealous with rates...
Amazon.com uses a point system for being absent, tardy and clocking out early/clocking in late etc. If you accumulate a total of 6 points, Amazon.com will terminate you (unless you have a doctors excuse, etc.) The point system didn't effect me as I went to work every day and was always (and always have been) punctual to my jobs but it really bugged me. I know that employers have to put rules in place to hold their employees accountable and force employees to be responsible but instead of feeling like a valued employee It made me feel like I was in the 6th grade...

Please don't forget about your hard working associates who may not have the highest rates but are always there working hard giving it their all to do the very best job they can do, thank you...

Other reviews for Amazon.com

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

Cons

Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

Best place to work with and hassle free environment.

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chennai (India)

Pros

Employee friendly management. one can easily project their achievement and hard work without any hindrance

Cons

less visibility over the top level management.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!