There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Very mixed range of skillset, experience, and intelligence

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The smart ones are some of the smartest teammates you will ever have
- You WILL learn a lot
- you get paid like a boss coming right out of school

Cons

- The dumb ones are some of the dumbest people you will encounter (and may drag you down with them)
- Every once a while, you may be put on a nasty project. sometimes by yourself. sometimes without any help, but they have expectations that you'll finish. early.
- you will have to wear a pager and be on call some time (some teams have light schedules, with one week per every 4 months, but some teams make you go on call one of every 3 weeks)

Don't let someone be a manager just because they have been there for 10+ years. if they're not fit, it's time to recognize that and either add someone else or just swap him. Horrible Management means capped creativity (which kills a product innovation team)

3507 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

You Work Hard AND Get Paid Well for It!

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, face-paced work environment with a strong customer service focus. Employees are encouraged to "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make HIstory". That's just what we're doing!

Cons

Uneven workload distribution. High performing employees seem to get "dumped on" while low performers slide by while pocketing the same salaries. Very discouraging and unfair. My peers have time for chats, social networking and extended breaks while I can't seem to stay above water.

Implement work logs and pay attention to workload distribution. Don't burn out your best performers!

Take Google's engineering scale, mix Apple's customer satisfaction focus, and you get Amazon

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

For an engineer, not excited about the roller-coaster ride in a start-up, it cannot get any better than Amazon. You will get to work of technologies that need to scale to cater million if customer, and hundreds of million requests made by these customers. With AWS as backbone, and working with tons of in-house and open source technologies, you will gain invaluable experience, which ensure both technical and financial growth. The companies motto of being frugal and passing the saving to the customer will ensure you always come up with the right engineering solution to problem.

Cons

Good pay, but not a lot of extra perks. Limited financial growth at the company, but it prepares you for good financial growth outside the company.

Invest a bit more in employees

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!