Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Was better before all the changes

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III  in  Grand Forks, ND (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Grand Forks, ND (US)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and relaxed environment. Pay and benefits are great, hard to find another job that meets what they offer in this area. Work from Home opportunities

Cons

*Training needs to be changed. When I first started training was in depth and I hit the floor knowing what I was doing. With the past few positions I've taken, training has been minimal and I feel completely unprepared for the job at hand.

* Work from home staff gets forgotten and left out of on site functions.

* Monthly internet allowance of $25 doesn't cover half of my internet or phone bill.

* Leadership needs to be available more often and monitor the team members available time

* Huge amount of favoritism

* Under appreciated

* Company is micro-managed and has grown a lot faster than it seems can be handled at times

Pay attention to your team. Make sure people are in avail when they should be and treat everyone on the team fairly. Don't offer special treatment to people or single out others just because you're buddies with them. This leaves workers on the phones short handed and feeling angry towards their leadership. Offer more to Work From Home. This is a large part of your company in Grand Forks, make sure we feel appreciated.

Other reviews for Amazon.com

Sales Manager

Pros

Recruiters are polite, thorough, very organized. Schedule phone screenings and any additional phone interviews as needed. You are given sufficient time to ask and/or email all questions and I found HR to be quite helpful in the early stages. It is a lengthy process , however they are clear about this upfront.

Cons

Mid Managers are not impressive. Don't like to be questioned or challeneged. For the most part , the are not "experts" in their fields and designated markets. I was actually surprised as to how little experience middle to upper management had in certain departments, given the amount of interviewing and screening required before one is even made an offer to join a team. That said, certain areas are definitely better places to work than others. Not a fan of the sales leadership/division and do not recommend working there.

If you expect the best from people you hire, you should in turn provide the best management and leadership possible. Lead by example.

Your peers are smart, but the culture is harsh

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Amazon hires very smart people. Getting hired is hard, but you will work with some of the brightest engineers out there.

The total compensation is nice. Do not flinch at having part of your compensation be RSUs. Even if stock price goes down, your compensation will be adjusted. Because Amazon sees RSU as part of the compensation, they will fix it with market fluctuations. There really is only upside. No, you won't retire on RSU....won't buy a house....maybe a nice car is stock goes through the roof.

Cons

The culture is one that encourages harsh behavior. If you present an idea or argument and can't back it up with data or facts - prepare to be humiliated. I tend to see folks last < 1 year or more than 5 years. In other words, you either are cut out for this environment or you're not.

The more senior the position (as management or as an individual contributor) the more aggressive you need to be.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!