Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,789 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Pretty mediocre company for which to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing special, really. An advantage is that you can push hard for something, and if you're willing to put in the time, you will be able to get it done. If you've got the energy, drive, and chutzpah, you can do well here, but this is a production environment, don't expect cutting edge.

Pay is good.

ConsAmazon is basically a big store with a huge web presence. Don't expect anything really exciting to happen here. Although, occasionally, something may pop out.

When you work here, consider yourself a cog. The catch-phrase is something like "a good software developer can do anything." What this means, in practice, is that everyone seems to be working on stuff they are not particularly good at. If there is a need to deal with a web scalability problem, there may be someone two desks down who may be an expert on server scalability, but is instead working on UI. No effort seems to be made to fit people with their strengths.

Amazon's emphasis on frugality makes it so the work environment is not particularly pleasant. Be prepared to work in a "start up" work environment with power cords hanging from the ceiling, cheap desks, no partitions, etc.

A real issue with the frugality mindset is that Amazon tries to develop on a shoestring. The build procedures are poorly planned, and tools are pretty primitive. Most infrastructure groups are woefully understaffed and it shows. Because the infrastructure is so poor, developers can expect to spend more time dealing with infrastructure issues (such as build issues) than in other companies. So much time is wasted dealing with issues like this, that you can expect to work overtime just to get a normal amount of work done.

Lastly, benefits are not great.

ok company to work for but if you are for the large scale operations experience

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: experience, smart people, guinness in royal oak Cons: frugality, politics, immutable managers, call center feeling Advice to Senior Management: be less frugal, listen to people No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Awesome place! Very smart people

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros: very smart people who care about the company vision and the end customer. Leaders in… Cons: can't really think of anything. I guess as it gets bigger there are the inherent… Advice to Senior Management: continue doing what you do - focusing on the end… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.