Three years I'll never get back - and no I haven't been fired, I just wanna leave..

Current Employee - Not Worth the Risk Revealing What I Do, They'll BE After Me!  in  Dudelange (Luxembourg)
Current Employee - Not Worth the Risk Revealing What I Do, They'll BE After Me! in Dudelange (Luxembourg)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Package WITH CAVEATS: The stock is pretty decent for the first couple of years, then it overperforms and you're like totally screwed ("it's not our fault we did so well" cry the fat cats)
Some people are really decent and they try super hard.

Cons

The tech is substandard, I mean it's hard sometimes to just get the basics done without raising ticket after ticket
The processes are ludicrous (and - worse - inefficient)
Complete diregard for people's lives - work and social (most of us are pretty young, we need to live a little outside of work - I see little of the 'work hard' ethic)
The salary is poor for such an expensive, dreary place to live

Practice what you preach guys. It's about time to wake up and smell your substandard coffee: Amazon is no longer a startup but a (tenuously profitable, true) multi billion dollar business thats been around for almost 20 years. Stop hiding behind cool slogans and 'leadership principles' that you don't represent and use as an excuse not to spend money. Grow up. If you can't spend because profits are so poor, then rethink your strategy.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

amazon is a horrible place to work

Former Employee - Picker
    Former Employee - Picker

I worked at Amazon.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

they are just good in price and they treat customer like angel but treat their employee like dirt

Cons

this is place is too much pressure to work especially in pick department, they push you too hard to make atleast 100 items per hour and that is impossible to do specially in the pallet land.. they think that you are a robot can walk fast. and number 1 safety rule "no running" but workers are almost get to the point of running so that they can make the rate of 100% coz if you cannot make it they will fire you.. and you get only 15 minutes break, but you have to walk 3-5 minutes to breakroom, they just want you to go sit in the break room and go back your ass to work.. WORST COMPANY TO WORK EVER!!!! they are very bad about calling you over the phone for your termination because they are chicken to see you in person, and sometimes they let you come to work but dont tell you and your badge is not working so you will not get into the gate.

management they need to listen to their employees and lower the minimum rate, before the workers end up hurting therselves just to make a rate.

Pretty mediocre company for which to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing special, really. An advantage is that you can push hard for something, and if you're willing to put in the time, you will be able to get it done. If you've got the energy, drive, and chutzpah, you can do well here, but this is a production environment, don't expect cutting edge.

Pay is good.

Cons

Amazon is basically a big store with a huge web presence. Don't expect anything really exciting to happen here. Although, occasionally, something may pop out.

When you work here, consider yourself a cog. The catch-phrase is something like "a good software developer can do anything." What this means, in practice, is that everyone seems to be working on stuff they are not particularly good at. If there is a need to deal with a web scalability problem, there may be someone two desks down who may be an expert on server scalability, but is instead working on UI. No effort seems to be made to fit people with their strengths.

Amazon's emphasis on frugality makes it so the work environment is not particularly pleasant. Be prepared to work in a "start up" work environment with power cords hanging from the ceiling, cheap desks, no partitions, etc.

A real issue with the frugality mindset is that Amazon tries to develop on a shoestring. The build procedures are poorly planned, and tools are pretty primitive. Most infrastructure groups are woefully understaffed and it shows. Because the infrastructure is so poor, developers can expect to spend more time dealing with infrastructure issues (such as build issues) than in other companies. So much time is wasted dealing with issues like this, that you can expect to work overtime just to get a normal amount of work done.

Lastly, benefits are not great.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!