Operations manager

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Greenville, SC (US)
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Greenville, SC (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, great pay, can be a lot of fun, great place to lose weight, outstanding training! Love Jeff Besos!

Cons

Extremely long hours, lack of care and empathy for hourly associates by senior leaders at local facility, all about numbers (felt like a slave driver), low regard for former military members at the local level, little to no loyalty to anyone or anything (with the exception of production numbers).

Get rid of General Managers who never show up during off shifts to observe the challenges of night shift personnel. Additionally, senior General Managers must attend and learn ACES.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

Amazon is a great company to start at.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Competitive offers (not the best, but still well above average)
    -Many of the teams have a similar feel to a start up
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -The people here are smart and motivated
    -Has a kind of "hands off" management style, at least where I work. The mentality is that as long as I get my work done appropriately, all is good.
    -You can go from team to team, department to department, and continuously learn new things. You can jump from low end server management to high end app development for example.
    -The company is going places both from a financial sense (have you looked at their stock recently and its trend?) and a technology sense
    -The teams are generally kept small and for my team at least, leads to better communication

Cons

-With some teams, work life balance is horrible. This is not all teams however, mostly the ones that manage the website directly and are responsible for keeping various services up and running. I have seen it both ways.
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -It can be difficult at times to get recognized for your hard work even if you go above and beyond the call of duty (please note I have not personally experiences this. Rather, it is a conclusion I have reached based off of my interactions with others and what I have seen)
    -Team culture and work life balance varies from "I want to get out of here" to "I absolutely love it here and can't imagine myself anywhere else" I understand that this happens in many different companies, but I wish Amazon would work more to normalize this spectrum.

Make sure employees know that their work is appreciated.

Not as much opportunity for SDETs

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Exciting projects that have high visibility and use
    * Customer-centric focus
    * Lots of good software engineer tools and frameworks in place

Cons

* Not a whole lot of opportunity for SDET or test career. Sure, there are pockets of them, but I wouldn't count on Amazon as a long term place for a test career. Not uncommon to see the senior test folks eventually leave due to lack of promotion process for them.
    * Heavy emphasis on on-call activities with less emphasis on building quality in from the beginning.
    * Fairly young engineering management

If you want to attract and KEEP test professionals, hire more test managers and some test VP or Directors to help keep the culture alive.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!