Fast paced and exciting

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Plainfield, IN (US)
Current Employee - Process Assistant in Plainfield, IN (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, excellent benefits, and opportunities to advance

Cons

Training minimal and the feedback system needs improvement

Advice to Management

Put more effort into training your associates to be ready for the next level.

reviews filtered by

What You'd Expect from #1

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-You're working at the #1 online retailer in the world, thus many of the projects you work on are truly meaningful and rewarding.
    -You're working with tons of other passionate, overachiever, type-A, business geniuses who genuinely care about the success of the company. Lots of employees are loyal Amazon customers and are working to ensure that the company continues to provide great selection, prices, and customer service. I learned so much from my colleagues, and they inspired me every day.
    -The new campus is a great working environment. There are tons of dining options nearby, in a variety of price ranges. Parking (if you can land a subsidized spot in a garage) is pretty affordable, dogs are allowed in the buildings, which makes for a relaxing midday break, lots of offices have views of the water, the Space Needle, or the mountains, and there's easy access to downtown, Capitol Hill, or Queen Anne.
    -Compensation is top-notch. You work hard, yes, but Amazon compensates handsomely in return for all that stress and 60-hour workweeks.

Cons

-Amazon can be a pressure-cooker sometimes. It's often extremely stressful, especially during Q4. Plan on having your work email and calendar on your smartphone, and plan on getting urgent emails from upper management in the evenings, weekends, during holidays, you name it. You're expected to be unofficially on-call 24 hours a day.
    -Advancement here is notoriously difficult, especially in the lower-level jobs. I've known dozens of employees who spent 5+ years in the same job, even with excellent reviews.

Advice to Management

Overall I think Amazon is a fantastic place to work, especially for those hired on as mid-level or senior management. Keep it up!

Great technology challenges

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Engineers are valued. A lot of focus on giving Engineers the work that is challenging.
    * Good technological challenges. A lot of interesting problems in the AWS space which are challenging and need creativity.
    * High impact work. A lot of customers use AWS, and hence the impact is visible in terms of usage, growth, customer feedback.

Cons

* Design is owned by Principal Engineers. Sometimes it is hard to get the opportunity to design a system as it is owned by Principal Engineers.
    * Oncall duty can be bad on some teams. But it is ok for some teams.

Advice to Management

* Focus on operational pain reduction as much as new features..