Okay projects, bad work environment, terrible benefits

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Projects are interesting. You can get technical challenge with fellow software engineers. There're lots of smart people, here.

Cons

Work environment is not great. In the beginning, A shared desk was assigned to me without cube. A small war-room kind of office with 7 software engineers and there's no privacy while others kept complaining about smell of my coffee. I've never been in this kind of atmosphere. It might only be my team but quite discouraged to be creative.
The benefit was even worse. In normal company, HMO is the cheapest plan but Amazon offers the most expensive HMO option and there's wierd plan of health fund. Health fund is okay for who doesn't go to see doctor more than 7 times per year but totally out of sense when you had family. Premium was already high but out of pocket cost for hospital is another story. 401k matching is very low and the company tries to get employee's patent idea for free while my previous company always paid for it. Parking reimbursement wasn't enough to drive your car to downtown. There's no ESPP. And so on..
There's no formal training except new hire orientation which took only half day. No education support. It seems like this company only want to use your knowledge and has no interest to develop it.
On call duty is also painful. You need to carry the pager and it might beep in the midnight and must respond it within 15 min or it'll be escalated to your manager, director, vp, ...

You need to care your employees as human being.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

A great company to work for

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

1. Very positive working environment for engineers; coworkers help each other out.
    2. Be able to work on cutting edge technologies in Amazon.
    3. Amazon got a great leader, Jeff Bazos, who is very smart and has made many right decisions.
    4. Amazon dominates the e-retail business.
    5. Amazon Web Services (AWS) are doing really well in the cloud computing market.

Cons

1. Operational tasks take a lot of time, as a result fewer time can be spent on actual development.
    2. Oncall overheads in some teams are crazy and oncall can be paged many times.
    3. Employee benefit is not that good.

Consider increasing the salary, which is not that competitive anymore.

You Work Hard AND Get Paid Well for It!

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, face-paced work environment with a strong customer service focus. Employees are encouraged to "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make HIstory". That's just what we're doing!

Cons

Uneven workload distribution. High performing employees seem to get "dumped on" while low performers slide by while pocketing the same salaries. Very discouraging and unfair. My peers have time for chats, social networking and extended breaks while I can't seem to stay above water.

Implement work logs and pay attention to workload distribution. Don't burn out your best performers!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!