Working in the Fulfillment Center

Current Employee - Trainer in West Columbia, SC (US)
Current Employee - Trainer in West Columbia, SC (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There will always be work for you to do and you have the opportunity to learn different process paths if your area is slow.

Cons

People are treated like machines and numbers take precedent to anything else rather than customer obsession as the company claims. I find that operations and management are consistently inconsistent. I understand CAE 1 is a start up building but it should over the hump by now. Training is offered but managers are so number driven to where they won't even allow associates to complete their full training so they can hurry to get them on the floor to make a million mistakes, SMH.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people effectively and goals will be met. Too much cut throat, dog eat dog atmosphere in the fc's but there is always room for improvement. A college degree DOES NOT make you an automatic manager, need to scrap that philosophy very quickly.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great experience

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great learning experience..either management or technology

Cons

Better work life balance...employees tend to burn out..

Love / Hate Relationship

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people, lots of cool projects, really value their top employees, good compensation

Cons

poor health care benefits, caustic work environment (dog eat dog), high attrition rate, too much work not enough life balance, really only values top top employees

Advice to Management

Consider the reputation that you have in the community. You have 1/2 of an incredible company (i.e. the smart people, cool projects, $ to spend, customer focus), but your regretted attrition rate speaks to a culture that doesn't truly value its employees.