Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Things Seem To Be Getting Better, But Still Some Issues....

Current Employee - Associate/Ambassador in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
Current Employee - Associate/Ambassador in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its been 18 months since my last review, and since then I feel that things have been improving. Amazon started coaching managers in how to do the associate's jobs, and that has made it easier for them to understand problems and help make solutions. Our management in the areas of outbound where I work has been great and they have been very easy to get along with. I have been employed for nearly 5 years now and it seems that in the last year and a half more emphasis has been placed on quality and safety than in years before.

There has also been a more postive outlook among the associates in my area, which has made working here more enjoyable. (Or at least they are not complaining as much?)

Cons

The worst thing about this job is the constant management turnover. As soon as you get used to somebody they are gone. I understand that they want to move on up, but for some reason they have to go to another facility to do that, when that particular job opportunity is also opening up in same facility. It doesn't make any sense. They also have a bad habit of hiring outside the facility and not promoting from within as much as they should. I don't know if there is some sort of quota the facilites have to go by, but plenty of associates have applied for tier 3 jobs only to have another employee from another facility get the job.

This last peak season we had issues with filling hiring slots. Amazon has been in our town long enough for the whole place to know what it is like to work here. I have heard from people "on the street" ask me what is going on over there, as they know people who have worked here and they do not want to go back. Every time it has been about the picking department. They all say the same thing; "we feel that we are set up to fail". Until the pick department takes care of this problem the hiring for peak may get worse and worse. The associates who work in the facility do not like to go to pick, and it has been like this for the 5 years I have been there. I have read the VOA board and their has yet to be any solutions for the problems with the department.

This would be more for the company: PLEASE take care of your area managers, Ops, Senior Ops, and everyone else in tier three. For those with family the work/life balance is horrible, especially around the fall and peak seasons. 90 hours a week at peak may be ok for an unmarried person, but for somebody who has kids and a spouse it seems very anti-family.

3842 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Wonderful for the smart hard-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Smart people, you will be surprised the time and effort the company invests in finding people
    - Decent pay, average of the industry set of competitors, could be better
    - Work smart, hard and long. As Jeff says, 2 of the 3 won't work :-)
    - Strong sense of accomplishment when work is done

Cons

- Too exhausting at times
    - Management may not be transparent always
    - Some managers would qualify politicians (really). Stay away from them and just exchange smiles, nothing more
    - Recognition. There are few people waiting to shoot using your hardworking. Wonder how they got hired!

Don't lose the great people. Figure out how to really use peer feedback to weed out the political ones and your will have the best place to work in Bangalore. You are close already.

Growing too fast, things slipping through the cracks

Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coaching.
    Employee Discounts.
    Customers that are appreciative of assistance.
    Opportunity to telecommute.
    Chance to earn prizes and bonus.

Cons

Cost of BYOD [bring your own device] far more than communicated and ultimately far less valid given the limited seasonal employment. Probably spent at least my first week's pay covering the cost of working there for 3 or 4 months.

HR is not very competent. Told I would be hired, then ap lost had to drive across state to another recruiting drive elsewhere to get situation addressed. Also scheduling tools inaccurate - dinged for taking time systems said I had. Also was yanked back and forth on holiday scheduling multiple times daily during holiday weeks as to whether I would be working. Showed up then told I wasn't on schedule.

Felt training was inconsistent. Great to have it, but some trainers were not very knowledgeable. Lots of valuable time wasted on silly stuff. System errors often caused need to retake tests, and some answers were not current. Tactfully / constructively mentioned errors but not sure feedback was entirely appreciated :-)

My metrics / ratings were good but not hired on post season at the last minute. Cannot get unemployment because they haven't filed my income with the state. Lost out on a new job because last step was potential employer need to get more than an employment verification. Cannot apply for jobs with Amazon from outside because the system still thinks I work there and need to apply via the internal system.

Growth & taking risks is great -- just don't become the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory

Probably would have rated you three stars while I was there.

Dropped to one based on how things shook out and how poorly treated after giving heart and soul during holiday peak.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com