Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

amazon web service intern

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Great environment. Grow fast. Perfect for fresh grads

Cons

No cons in my intern

3944 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Chaotic culture. Panic and burn out yourself.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

- Good Salary. Thats all. But you need to sacrifice many other things on the cost of that.

Cons

- I wonder how so many people have given such a good rating. Yes, if work is the only thing in your life, this may be the place for you.
    - Quality of work is extremely bad. Its all about coordinating with other teams and getting things done. You will hardly get to use your creativity.
    - There is panic and chaos all around. No office culture. People shouting, listening music on high volumes.
    - Situation at Chennai is more bad. Very bad facilities. Non-ethical place.
    - People just come here for a brand name and start contemplating for a change within few months.
    - Freshers may still sustain. But extremely bad for people who have come from a company with decent work culture.
    - Have a long list of negatives. But I hope this much should be enough for prospective employees to take a decision.

Amazon is growing very rapidly. But the culture is not sustainable in a long term. Needs a big change.

Growing too fast, things slipping through the cracks

Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coaching.
    Employee Discounts.
    Customers that are appreciative of assistance.
    Opportunity to telecommute.
    Chance to earn prizes and bonus.

Cons

Cost of BYOD [bring your own device] far more than communicated and ultimately far less valid given the limited seasonal employment. Probably spent at least my first week's pay covering the cost of working there for 3 or 4 months.

HR is not very competent. Told I would be hired, then ap lost had to drive across state to another recruiting drive elsewhere to get situation addressed. Also scheduling tools inaccurate - dinged for taking time systems said I had. Also was yanked back and forth on holiday scheduling multiple times daily during holiday weeks as to whether I would be working. Showed up then told I wasn't on schedule.

Felt training was inconsistent. Great to have it, but some trainers were not very knowledgeable. Lots of valuable time wasted on silly stuff. System errors often caused need to retake tests, and some answers were not current. Tactfully / constructively mentioned errors but not sure feedback was entirely appreciated :-)

My metrics / ratings were good but not hired on post season at the last minute. Cannot get unemployment because they haven't filed my income with the state. Lost out on a new job because last step was potential employer need to get more than an employment verification. Cannot apply for jobs with Amazon from outside because the system still thinks I work there and need to apply via the internal system.

Growth & taking risks is great -- just don't become the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory

Probably would have rated you three stars while I was there.

Dropped to one based on how things shook out and how poorly treated after giving heart and soul during holiday peak.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com