Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Push yourself to the limits while dealing with stretched goals

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAmazon promotes leadership skills to every job type and level. It sets clear guidelines as to what is expected out of one's job role to become a good leader. Amazon values its culture fit and put a lot of efforts in hiring people who resonates with these leadership principles. Goal setting is pretty aggressive and pushes people to their limit to achieve that goal.
For a young software engineer Amazon has all that is needed to grow in the industry and excel in her career.

ConsWork-Life balance couldn't be maintained all the time since Goals are aggressive. It is in the philosophy to have stretched Goals (and not easy goals) so everybody is under more or less stress. One has to handle this stress in order to survive in Amazon.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving good compensation and focusing on employees' workplace satisfaction would help the employees cope up with this increased stress. Somehow Amazon's higher management does not seem to value its employees' well being. This reflects in poor workplace amenities in various offices in comparison to other big companies like Google or Facebook. Frugality is taken to its extreme in this sense. People leave the company when they cannot cope up with the stress though the work they get may be challenging and satisfying.

Smoke and Mirrors

Premium Support Engineer (DSE) (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: Free coffee, smart people and a 10% Amazon discount across… Cons: Working at AWS in their "Support" department was a real let down for me. I went from owning projects and creating new systems to answering… Advice to Senior Management: 8 month experienced managers telling people things that are obviously wrong like "The CentOS project is the upstream for RHEL" is ridiculous. Why interview technically… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

You get out what you put in, but there's a balance

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Competitive salary Smart people Nice offices in Clausen Efforts being made to raise sociability Employees are encouraged to be proactive and… Cons: Work-life balance could do with an overhaul.. some employees seem to work very silly hours and I personally believe management could do more to counteract… Advice to Senior Management: Lead by example, more emphasis on Have Fun please! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!