There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  DFW, TX (US)
Former Employee - Project Manager in DFW, TX (US)

I worked at American Airlines as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, they have a lot of company recognized holidays

Cons

I don't think AA is comfortable with contractors. They keep you at a distance, and they make an effort to let you know that you are not an employee. As a result, it's difficult to do your work that requires collaboration with others.
Also, they are not a progressive company due to the older age of employees, averaging 20-30+ years of service. Most of the managers are former flight attendants who were promoted within, therefore they don't understand the flow of other progressive companies and of course the benefits of employing contractors who bring a higher level of expertise.
AA is very political, they have too many levels of management which makes it difficult to get approvals for projects.
Finally, HQ buildings are very dated. They do not have updated break rooms, coffee and filtered water is not provided by the company, you have to join coffee and water clubs or bring your own.
Overall, I did not have a good experience and will not return.

Remove some of the levels of management. Encourage creativity and embrace contractors who bring expertise to your organization.

650 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

Horrific

Current Employee - Pilot  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Pilot in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to fly planes and travel.

Cons

Always away from family, they force you to work on your days off, crappy pay, almost all the captains you fly with initially are old, crusty, and horrible to fly with.

Care about your employees

Once great, not so much anymore!

Current Employee - International Flight Purser  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - International Flight Purser in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Travel used to be a great benefit, now you have to fight to get on an airplane. Our health benefits are still okay and pay will let you live in the lower middle class.

Cons

After the mismanagement of our current senior management which has lead to bankruptcy, they are attempting to completely gut our remaining benefits and quality of work life.

What you are doing is completely wrong, please try to find those who love the airline business and want to help us grow again and become the once proud airline we once were. The money-grubbing and business-as-usual policies will no longer work.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!