There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Great people with focus on career deveopment

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at American Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are the top asset of the company. Great career development. Tangible review process to help with your development (if you take is seriously). Lots of opportunity for movement. Can get involved in networks/clubs outside of your job to expand your perspective or skills. Many opportunity to learn about different areas of the business.

Cons

Hard to get promoted ahead of "HR guided schedule" at the junior levels. Inconsistencies across different organizations. Slow/Frustrating technology.

reviews filtered by
  1. Transformational

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

American Express has a keen focus on development: personal, team, technology, company, and world development. With a passion for excellence, a true pursuit of integrity, and a collaborative spirit, my company is increasingly becoming a superior firm that I can proudly support. Leadership is strong and opportunities abound.

Cons

American Express has many opportunities for process improvement, mostly in the realm of establishing lean, balanced processes. With a tendency toward a heavy process, my company's renewed vision for optimization and flawless execution will strike a positive balance of efficiency. For me, process improvement (and the associated change management) is both fun and intuitive. Thus, this drawback is actually an exciting challenge for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate a strong sense of what is right morally and organizationally. Respectfully, firmly challenge directives if you perceive potential deficiency or danger. Maintain long-term mindsets, keeping a practical awareness of short-term necessities.

2. great place for career growth

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

management encourages you to advance and move into new roles after 2 years

Cons

could have better tuition reimbursement for employees seeking part-time graduate degrees

There are newer employer reviews for American Express