American Express

www.americanexpress.com
  www.americanexpress.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Transformational

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

American Express has a keen focus on development: personal, team, technology, company, and world development. With a passion for excellence, a true pursuit of integrity, and a collaborative spirit, my company is increasingly becoming a superior firm that I can proudly support. Leadership is strong and opportunities abound.

Cons

American Express has many opportunities for process improvement, mostly in the realm of establishing lean, balanced processes. With a tendency toward a heavy process, my company's renewed vision for optimization and flawless execution will strike a positive balance of efficiency. For me, process improvement (and the associated change management) is both fun and intuitive. Thus, this drawback is actually an exciting challenge for me.

Continue to cultivate a strong sense of what is right morally and organizationally. Respectfully, firmly challenge directives if you perceive potential deficiency or danger. Maintain long-term mindsets, keeping a practical awareness of short-term necessities.

1981 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

It was like working in a sweat shop

I worked at American Express

Pros

Performance based bonuses were nice

Cons

Who likes working in a call center?

Help employees learn to love their jobs

Do not work at Global Corporate Payments.

Current Employee - Manager of Business Development
    Current Employee - Manager of Business Development

I have been working at American Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The earning potential can be uncapped, benefits are great.

Cons

This position is a virtual sales position with little to no support from management. If you're looking for a job where you will spend more time on the phone dialing into the help desk or on useless conference calls, this job is for you. You won't receive a laptop, printer and office setup until at least 6 weeks into the job. You will have about 20 different passwords for systems that do not integrate. Formal training happens anywhere from 3-5 months on the job. Working at GCP is like being on a runaway train, departments do not communicate. Example: the underwriting department needs 14-25 days to review financials to provide a line of credit. Account setup teams refuse to communicate necessary information to aid setup. The result is a constant pressure on the salesman to continually be in contact with the client and obtain information, information that the Amex corporate office has but will not share.

Before you bring out a new product or promotion like Corporate Membership Rewards, understand what it will do to the customer service infrastructure. Communicate a policy and stick to it, the consistent back and forth is exhausting.

Above all else, don't hire an Director with less than 3 years of MBD experience. The VP of the region actually told me tounge and cheek, "the longer you stay around here the more you'll realize I don't have a clue what's going on." What an awkward but true moment of candor. It sums up my entire experience at Amex.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express