American Express
3.6 of 5 1,592 reviews
www.americanexpress.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Delivering extraordinary customer care and developing future leaders.

Team Leader (Current Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at American Express

ProsAmerican Express is one of the most admired companies in the world. Upon learning of my position at American Express, the reaction of friends and family has always been, "Wow! That's a great company! Congratulations!"
Beyond the prestige, American Express offers its employers countless of opportunities to be a part of the process to deliver extraordinary service to its customers as well as make a positive impact to its shareholders.
The leadership development for myself and for my peers goes beyond any expectation I had coming out of college. I have received intimate learning sessions on proven leadership tactics, such as MBTI, Crucial Conversations, and Situational Leadership, under the Adult Learning Theory.
As for career development, the company offers many opportunities to network with influential members of the leadership team, supports efforts to meet peers in offices around the country (such as Pheonix, Salt Lake City, and New York), and encourages employees to take on projects that require multi-department teamwork. The most impressive resource American Express offers for leadership development is a personal mentor to guide employees through all aspects of their career with the company; the mentor is always a senior leader at American Express.

ConsIn my time at American Express, I have found two negative aspects about the company.
The first is typical amongst most large companies: Poor communication from the top down. In specific, managers of front-line employees (employees dealing directly with customers) have little initial input on the directions upper management decides upon. Instead, these managers receive general goals to achieve, and must express these goals effectively to their employees and only when the direction headed poses challenges do managers have the opportunity to offer solutions.
The second issue I have stems from the first. Managers at this level, because of the large gap in the heirarchy with their bosses, are not influential enough to have spirited debates with their superiors, but are very vulnerable to disrespect from their direct reports. To offer a metaphor, being a front-line manager at American Express is like being between a rock and a hard place: You can't talk to your boss the way you might like to, but your employees are at liberty to express their emotions, how they see fit, to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise Senior Management to allow middle-management (or front-line managers) to be more influential in the decision making process as it pertains to the direction a department is moving and also goal setting.
I would also advise Senior Management to be more visible amongst their direct reports and also the direct reports below them. By being more visible, a Senior Manager can not only gain respect, but it can also open lines of communication that could spur new ideas and possibly lead to improved performance.

Great Company - Very Flexible

Senior Internal Auditor (Current Employee)
Brighton, England

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros: a) Flexibility - Management is very flexible can work from home with no problems. b) People are… Cons: a) Salaries are not the best , towards the lower end in comparison to other banks or financial services b) People are very nice but… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on the small thing to increase employee retention Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

politically Chalenging

Coordinator Operations (Former Employee)
Brighton, England

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Looks good on your CV and good team spirit Cons: Have to deal with huge amount of internal politics ...Middle Management completely out of touch with what goes on daily .....Can do… Advice to Senior Management: Please try and maintain a grip on reality ...It helps No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on American Express.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Express CEO Ken Chenault. All reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees.