There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Delivering extraordinary customer care and developing future leaders.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at American Express

Pros

American Express is one of the most admired companies in the world. Upon learning of my position at American Express, the reaction of friends and family has always been, "Wow! That's a great company! Congratulations!"
Beyond the prestige, American Express offers its employers countless of opportunities to be a part of the process to deliver extraordinary service to its customers as well as make a positive impact to its shareholders.
The leadership development for myself and for my peers goes beyond any expectation I had coming out of college. I have received intimate learning sessions on proven leadership tactics, such as MBTI, Crucial Conversations, and Situational Leadership, under the Adult Learning Theory.
As for career development, the company offers many opportunities to network with influential members of the leadership team, supports efforts to meet peers in offices around the country (such as Pheonix, Salt Lake City, and New York), and encourages employees to take on projects that require multi-department teamwork. The most impressive resource American Express offers for leadership development is a personal mentor to guide employees through all aspects of their career with the company; the mentor is always a senior leader at American Express.

Cons

In my time at American Express, I have found two negative aspects about the company.
The first is typical amongst most large companies: Poor communication from the top down. In specific, managers of front-line employees (employees dealing directly with customers) have little initial input on the directions upper management decides upon. Instead, these managers receive general goals to achieve, and must express these goals effectively to their employees and only when the direction headed poses challenges do managers have the opportunity to offer solutions.
The second issue I have stems from the first. Managers at this level, because of the large gap in the heirarchy with their bosses, are not influential enough to have spirited debates with their superiors, but are very vulnerable to disrespect from their direct reports. To offer a metaphor, being a front-line manager at American Express is like being between a rock and a hard place: You can't talk to your boss the way you might like to, but your employees are at liberty to express their emotions, how they see fit, to you.

I would advise Senior Management to allow middle-management (or front-line managers) to be more influential in the decision making process as it pertains to the direction a department is moving and also goal setting.
I would also advise Senior Management to be more visible amongst their direct reports and also the direct reports below them. By being more visible, a Senior Manager can not only gain respect, but it can also open lines of communication that could spur new ideas and possibly lead to improved performance.

1870 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

very relaxing environment, no competitive.

Current Employee - Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They always pay the bonus

Cons

very political, you are assessed for what people do say about you rather than for your actual results. They called it leadership

Change the HR structure in Europe, people not qualified to have their role. Listen to employees, and take actions on pulse.

Future?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance. Friendly colleagues, depending on the group you end up in. Good benefits. Great office location. Good brand.

Cons

A culture as rapidly moving as molasses and lethal as quicksand. Gossip verging on back-stabbing is a norm. Unbelievably slow and risk-averse, reflected in hiring based on capabilities rather than aptitude - and leading to stagnation. So consensus-driven that nothing happens, and it feels like most management drive forward by checking themselves out in the vanity mirror. Dangerous HR policies to promote certain classes of individuals actually end up encouraging leaders to hire/promote really poor candidates.

Shake up the culture more aggressively than with the "growth mindset" stuff, revise the organisation to eliminate governance by consensus in order to make the company more nimble. Educate the top 50% on how to innovate. Organise your data and make it available to make business decisions. Realise that the rest of the world is a LOT bigger than the US and should receive an appropriate amount of resource and funding. Fundamentally rethink your diversity policy (which scarcely exists).

There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!