There are newer employer reviews for American Institutes for Research

Great place to get your feet wet in social science and policy research, but not a career destination.

Former Employee - Associate in Palo Alto, CA (US)
Former Employee - Associate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at American Institutes for Research

Pros

Getting hands on experience with social science research. Having a structured process for academic work that will prepare you for graduate school or make proper use of the methods and techniques learned in academia

Cons

Salary pales in comparison to what your private sector colleagues will be making. There is definitely a glass ceiling based on your degree and pedigree. While one person with a Master's Degree has made it to the highest pay grade, that person is the exception, not the example.

Advice to Management

Learn how to transition business operations in light of changes associated with retirement of the founders and most experienced group leaders. The dissolve of one department over the last few years is a key example of what happens when one group leader leaves and there is no contingency plan or an insufficiently broad client base.

reviews filtered by

Do as you say, not as you do.

Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at American Institutes for Research

Pros

Some colleagues are great, but others have no respect for you as a person with obligations outside of the office.

Cons

Lack of communication from headquarters & sr management to lower level workers

Advice to Management

Communication of problems or feedback from clients needs to be immediate and constructive. You say there should be no surprises at review, but they seem to come up every time.