There are newer employer reviews for American Student Assistance

Was an excellent place to work until changes occurred in the industry.

I worked at American Student Assistance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people. Friendly culture. They promote from within. Good benefits. Salaries OK.

Cons

Changes in the industry hit them very hard. They lost their main line of business. Trying to reinvent themselves.

Advice to Management

It's tough, but you may be able to put all that expertise to a good new use. Good Luck.

reviews filtered by
  1. So good I came back

I have been working at American Student Assistance

Pros

First and foremost the work-life balance is spot on. When I interviewed here 8 years ago the recruiter told me that ASA prides itself on the work life balance and that's still true to this day. I left ASA for an opportunity elsewhere and found out the grass was not greener. Not only was I welcomed back with open arms, I got a promotion and increased salary. This place is awesome and I see myself here for a long long time.

Cons

There are some quirky folks here at ASA, but I think that is a contributing factor to our corporate culture. We hire a lot of consultants, which confuses me when we should have these people as part of our staff. Other than that, its hard to say anything too negative about ASA.

Advice to Management

We need to move faster. And remove the roadblocks for approval processes. If we don't succeed and be first to market someone else is going to steal our thunder.

2. Smart, committed, mission-driven people helping student loan borrowers

I have been working at American Student Assistance

Pros

Management cares about the employees (great benefits, Wii bowling tournaments, Pizza with the President, numerous training and development opportunities, etc.). The benefits are excellent, including a pension retirement plan, generous time off, tuition reimbursement and student loan reimbursement.

Cons

If you're only motivated by money, it may not be the right place for you. Many who think the "grass is greener" elsewhere seem to come back.

There are newer employer reviews for American Student Assistance