American Water
www.amwater.com Voorhees, NJ 5000+ Employees

Lots of changes in the newly public company.

Manager (Current Employee)
Voorhees, NJ (US)

I have been working at American Water

ProsTop scientists working every day to treat and deliver the most-need, life essential resource. The plant operators and scientists hard every day to make sure that water keeps flowing to homes and businesses. American Water is very active in environmental research and is an active member in many industry organizations such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the American Water Works Organization.
The company just went public and had a very successful IPO. Changes because of that IPO are being looked at as postitve and that the company will be regaining its title of the leader in the industry.

ConsVery conservative, sometimes inflexible structure hampers internal and external progress. The states in which American Water operates in are all regulated by state regulatory boards. These rules and regulations ad layers and layers onto process when specific projects are being worked on. The company is working on upgrading technological systems, but that happpen slowly and the company is a bit behind the industry standard with regard to Information Technology Services. They are working on it though. This company, like all others tends to be very political. Not sure yet how the economy will effect this company, no layoffs yet, but one never knows.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in IT and provide more resources to internal teams. Cut back on the layers of process that it takes to move projects along. Empower all levels of employees to make decision and be held accountable for their responsibilities. Recognize that employees from all areas may be able to provide good ideas. Don't remain siloed.

Keep Out

Customer Care AKA the Forgotten Ones (Former Employee)
Alton, IL (US)

I worked at American Water

Pros: The benefits were great,and it was close to my home… Cons: No chance for advancement, unless you were the chosen few. The same people were the only ones getting promoted. It didn't matter how qualified or… Advice to Senior Management: Watch your back!!!! American Water has been known to promote you right out the door. I've… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Walk the Talk

Business Development (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at American Water

Pros: Well educated employees and fair/reasonable compensation. Cons: Others taking credit for your work, limited opportunity for advancement… Advice to Senior Management: Treat employees the same way you want them to treat customers. Develop and follow a written process to better promote work/life balance. Implement and… More

There are newer reviews on American Water.

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Water CEO Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba. All reviews posted anonymously by American Water employees.