Apple
3.9 of 5 3,111 reviews
www.apple.com Cupertino, CA 5000+ Employees

Steve Jobs Dictatorial Style Trickles Down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple

ProsIt's great for the resume. Better still, it's a great way to meet lots of people who will ultimately move around within the industry -- an excellent way to build a professional network. In addition, you will have lots of opportunity to practice working in a somewhat chaotic, but often creative workplace, and to benefit from the genius of Steve Jobs.

ConsIt is essentially a dictatorship, and not a benevolent one. At the exec level, the leadership style is unequivocally domineering and unforgiving -- driven by fear of Steve. And many of them are just plain mean. Lower-level managers have very little control; they may be nice, but they're often irrelevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be leaders. Set people up to succeed. Give them the direction and the parameters for success (not micro-management or correction). Develop plans and stick to them, and help your teams work to the plan. Develop confidence in your own leadership capabilities and your own intelligence, so you don't have to operate in fear of Steve.

Great company. Beware of rogue management.

Creative (Apple Store) (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Apple

Pros: The best reasons are primarily for the benefits. You get great perks from 3rd parties. The… Cons: Depending on which store you land in, you may have to fight for justifiable pay. The smaller market stores have a tendency to operate on… Advice to Senior Management: Relax a bit and appreciate the talent you have on… More

A great environment to work it, but a lot is asked for you in return.

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Current Employee)
Northridge, CA (US)

I have been working at Apple

Pros: Get to know the latest technology, and they teach you how to use it. You don't need to worry about commission sales, you just… Cons: Management can be a pain sometimes. Most of them don't even know about the products, I am amazed about that. The worst thing… Advice to Senior Management: Well, I would tell them that they should train their managers to know about the products as well as the specialist. Because I had… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Apple.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Apple CEO Tim Cook. All reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees.