AroundCampus

www.aroundcampusgroup.com
  www.aroundcampusgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for AroundCampus

Rewarding, a life cexperience if interested in sales career

Former Employee - Sales Representative
Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus part-time

Pros

Great relationship between coworkers, managers help you through every step of the process, week training paid in North Carolina, great company.

Cons

not enough weekly pay for amount of travel, long hours.

assist sales intern with every step of the sales process in the beginning.

221 Other Employee Reviews for AroundCampus (View Most Recent)

Rough summer, but paid off!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- A paid internship (though not much) when most of what is out there is unpaid
    - very supportive management team, even if they're not always with you in person. company culture is energetic and fun
    - great training program - useful and fun...even more so if you "drink the kool aid" (or as they put it...lose your "cool card")
    - if you want to go into sales or marketing, this is one of the hardest and therefore the most impressive thing you can do
    - i had this internship the summer before my senior year of college, and when applying for post-grad jobs this was easily what I talked about most in interviews. I could draw an experience from my time with UD to answer practically any tough interview question. Companies would specifically ask me about this experience.
    - while I was miserable for a lot of the time, I learned a ton about myself, my teammates, and sales in general.
    - after, you will have concrete numbers to put on your resume with how much you sold and how much your team sold (even better if you hit goal and/or were one of the top in your region)

Cons

- lots and lots of rejection. you are trying to sell an outdated product (print ads), and trying to get businesses to reach out to a target demographic with limited spending power (college students). At training you are obviously told there will be many NOs and to treat those answers as "not yet" but I really didn't understand what that meant until I was out there doing it. you definitely need to have a thick skin, lots of motivation and energy.
    - success depends a lot on your territory and who your teammates/managers are.
    - you are alone the majority of the day, aside from team meetings AM and PM and meeting with business owners throughout the day. I found it to be very lonely and wanting to share the experience with my teammates, but we all had to be off doing our own things.
    - the days are long and physically/mentally tiring, and when you do the math you will likely be making far less than minimum wage
    - you likely won't see your additional commission until the fall.
    - depending on your market you may face stiff competition from other college marketing companies, and other students doing/selling pretty much the same thing as you

overall, I would recommend this internship if sales/marketing is what you want to get into (or if you just want to try it, like i did). Even though I probably will not go into sales after this experience, the skills I built (time management, people skills, reaching a goal, teamwork, overcoming challenges, etc) are applicable in any sort of interview. You need to be extroverted, energetic, determined, and organized to do well. So, bottom line, there were many days where I hated what I was doing, but to this day I still call and thank my managers for the unmatched experience on my resume.

More prep for overcoming objections in training, more on-site management support. Company culture is great and what kept me going through many of the tough days...always encouraging and high-energy. Loved the little contests and promotions throughout the summer.

the experience was a good one for an internship

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company was great at motivating you during the week long training trip and the daily webinars from the President of the company where supportive and very helpful.

Cons

Guidance from regional managers was hard to come by, but you did get it every once in a while.

There are newer employer reviews for AroundCampus