Good products, lousy company to work for

Current Employee - Account Executive
Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Autonomy invests significantly in technology, but it would be hard to find a company that cared for its employees less than Autonomy.

Cons

Really a beat down culture. Senior leadership in Cambridge simply does not care about employees or customers for that matter, and it is obvious.

You have been successful to date, however it is a common point of discussion amongst employees that the business model at Autonomy simply won't/doesn't scale.

Other Reviews for Autonomy

Autonomy is in the death spiral and will soon cease to exist

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

Technology seems impressive. Some very smart people. I really liked my company before it was acquired by Autonomy, but then it all fell apart very fast.

Cons

I have worked for 11 different tech companies going back to the early 1990s in Silicon Valley. Based on my experience, I see that Autonomy is in the classic death spiral. The rats are abandoning the sinking ship, and the Autonomy management is too arrogant to see the obvious signs of the ship sinking. They are not hiring to replace departed staff. They are abusing the remaining staff to the point of driving them off the ship. There are no annual performance reviews and no annual raises, not even for cost of living. There is no human resources department. There is no IT department, for gods sake! There is only arrogance and ignorance. I saw it with 3 other failed companies I worked for, but Autonomy is by far the worst of all of them. As you can see from other reviews here, nobody but the marketing staff have anything good to say about the company, yet they have not changed anything in the way they run the company. What may have worked well in a Cambridge startup is totally ineffective in a 1000 person company. I only hope that enough of the remaining employees can cash in their stock options before the ship sinks. Enron ain't just a river in Texas, people! Get out while you can!

I have no advice for you, because you have proven time and time again that you are too arrogant to listen to reasonable voices. I will laugh out loud on the day that your hubris is exposed to all, you arrogant jerks.

Thinking is discouraged.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

The people at my office (who are mostly from pre-Autonomy acquisition - not much of a hint at my location) are smart and professional.

Cons

Management by intimidation. Problem solving is discouraged. No chance for a raise = no motivation to work, other than, of course, the fear and intimidation and the off chance of getting fired. All decisions are made at UK headquarters, no matter which people/what product are affected by the decisions. Features are sold which don't exist yet, and then engineers are bulldozed into working crazy hours to throw some half-baked solution together on a short time frame, and then harassed when it doesn't work well, but not given the time to fix it, because surprise surprise, some new thing has been sold which doesn't exist yet.

It's not really advice to mgmt. Most mgmt feel like they have their hands tied, except upper mgmt who are self confident jerks. One comment in this forum isn't going to transmogrify the guys at the top into competence.

There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!