There are newer employer reviews for BP

Positive and informative 1-year placement

Former Employee - Placement Student in Pangbourne, England
Former Employee - Placement Student in Pangbourne, England

I worked at BP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company really look after it's employees, from health and safety (BP are big on this) to social life. They pay very well and I found the job to be of low stress.

Cons

Might be difficult to progress quickly through the company as I believe they still have rules on being in a position for a minimum of 2 years before being promoted. Lower level staff aren't always informed directly on their impact on the company.

Don't be afraid to speak to the little people about the front line work.

848 Other Employee Reviews for BP (View Most Recent)

Career Suicide/Low Morale - Do not work in HR!

Current Employee - Human Resources Staff in Sunbury, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources Staff in Sunbury, England

I have been working at BP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Prestigious company
    Each department has its own set of cultures ( you may work in Shipping and love it!)

Cons

Unethical management
    Second class culture towards contracted staff
    Poor leadership
    Work Life imbalance (can work 12 hours a day)
    Lack of development opportunities
    Extremely high turnover within HR

I would advise that management/supervisory staff learn and action the BP Values and Behaviours before promoting it downstream. I have witnessed extreme scenarios of unethical behaviour.

Improve on management style. The current autocratic style does not work and there is an air of unhappiness and low morale within the department. Staff are too scared to speak up incase they are disciplined/dismissed in this poor economic climate. Painting over the cracks will not work. Helmut Schuster (Head of HR) when will you step in?

There is always a promise of "new development opportunities" which support staff never see.

I would not recommend working in HR, especially as a contractor. HR contractor roles are in abundance due to the high turnover rate!

Its the place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good work environment; working conditions are good; flexible working hours; challenging; personal development encouraged; very competitive and good work ethics are encouraged.

Cons

Its not a place for lazy and laid back people without an ambition and drive for success. You've got to be one step ahead to fit into the work environment.

To keep up with the good job of encouraging and supporting their staff in personal development and in providing a conducive work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for BP