BT

www.btplc.com

The worst career experience I have ever had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA (US)

Pros

Excellent benefits and compensation. Generally competent peers within my department. Exposure to global experience in my field of interest. Closeness to home and airport for business travel.

Cons

Leadership at various levels (it gets worse as leadership level elevates) lead from a place of fear, lack of information, self-preservation and situationally determined professional morals and ethics. Communication and collaboration between related groups and within groups are fractured at best. It appears that for eh lest couple of years the decision has been made to transform at least in the US to become a mini-EDS as many key positions have been and continue to be filled by its former employees. ironically, while BT espouses specific work values of integrity, collaboration and customer-focus, the culture of EDS and those BT has hired from EDS generally behave in the opposite or close to opposite manner. It's hypocritical and has contributed to the creation of a toxic work environment.

Realize most of you who are in leadership positions are not respected and supported by the majority of employees in your teams. Self-reflect on why , take accountability and focus on transforming yourself because transformation is warranted.

Other reviews for BT

Executive Incompetence

Pros

Good projects, lots of good people, lots of money for projects, management does give time off for family situations, very good benefits.

Cons

The executives don't know how to manage: pension deficitions, excessive spending on projects that get cancelled, continual changes in direction, absence of any meaningful and honest communication about changes.

Be more honest with your employees. Talk with us about upcoming changes. Stop wasting money on so many projects that will never see the light of day.

Worst experience of my entire career. I worked in the ElSegundo, Ca office which now has been tremendously down-sized.

Pros

Benefits and base pay are excellent. Most peers within my department were competent. International work exposure in my area of interest was experienced. Location to home and airport were convenient

Cons

Organizational/Cultural values are absent. This absence is reflected in how employees are treated. High level of politics, infighting and backstabbing that goes relatively unchecked is accepted as the norm. Relationships between US-based infrastructure teams, particularly Finance and HR, and their UK-based counterparts is fractured, ineffective and mostly disrespected by the business units and their leadership. It appears BT in America has drunk the EDS punch as you have recruited many ex-employees of EDS, some of whom were fired for cause from EDS, that have not integrated well into BT. It appears that BT would like to metamorphisize into EDS or at a minimum become very EDS-like. This is ironic as it ultimately became a failed organization generally known to have had a survival culture of sink or swim with little to no value for collaboration or true team work. It's killing your employees and their commitment to your organziation. Your leadesrhip team and second level managers are not trained from a basic management and leadership skills perspective which is demonstarted in the depth and frequency of employee relations issues that plague the organziation. Additionally, your leadership team is nearly devoid of diversity in many characteristics. For a global company, this is not good. It can be unwelcoming to employees who have a diverse background, and on some occassions, I have seen this result in their unfair targeting of individuals. While I am a male and did not directly experience this targeting, I particularly found this true for females. It also serves as a business disadvantage when some of your key customers are diverse and value the benefits diversity brings.

Realize that people are your greatest asset and treat them that way in genuine, demonstrable terms. Decide what your real values are and back them up in organizational decision making, policy and practice. Value diversity as opposed to alienate it in most all of its forms. Invest in and develop your senior leaders and managers.

There are newer employer reviews for BT.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!