Annual review

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once the machine is set in motion, it is a very powerful machine. Tends to be stuck in the starting blocks for a while, and project management system while necessary is sucking life out of innovation as well as time to market.

Cons

Takes a while to find who makes decisions, and to enforce. Dedication of the top management to a particular project is not flet with the urgency needed to the lower echelons

Advice to Management

get rid of pdm, replace with a much lighter project management system at the service of the engineering team, and not vice versa.

reviews filtered by
  1. I have learned a lot and have been able to travel to different parts of the country.

Current Employee - Engineer I
    Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer many classes to help you learn about your job and the company.

Cons

In some divisions, they do not pay as much attention to your career development as they should.

Advice to Management

Make sure to spend some time focusing on your employees' career path. If they are working hard for you, then you need to do what it takes to keep them with you.

Unfortunate situations...

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, opportunity to work with some really talented people, generally a good HSE culture

Cons

Exceptionally political environment with very little true leadership. Internal processes such as IT and HR completely broken and overrun with red tape and no acknowledgement of the problem, it is difficult to just do the basics of your job some days because of these two groups alone. Organizational changes are very frequent, resulting in a "this five minutes" and "flavor of the day" culture of rapidly changing initiatives with little or no continuity. Managing up well is the main criteria for upward career mobility.

Advice to Management

Really listen to someone besides yourselves, because you aren't telling yourselves the truth. Value all of your employees, not just some. Actually walk your talk.