There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes

A great company, that needs to let its new blood circulate freely in order to grow

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Aberdeen, Scotland
Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

The company is so diverse that there is no reason for anyone to ever be bored in their job, new challenges are always availible and in general most people you work with are excellent at there jobs, and will always be on hand to help. In general the company favours self-starters, and allows a lot of leeway in getting jobs done. Career advancement and opportunitys seem to come in cycles which provides stability for the most part, but also lots of dramatic changes ever few years at specific times. Upper management is approachable and fairly capable at helping you get things done, but the sheer size of the company almost ensures that you never deal with the same person twice, unless you have linked disciplines, or are working on complimentary projects. Company image is great with clients, and ensures that what you say is taken seriously with them.

Cons

Employee's with 10 -20years + make more money that some district managers, lots of guys with lots of experience, but they also tend to be slow to change, adverse to any new personnel coming in, and hold a lot of influence with the upper management team, and as such can roadblock your development because they've had the same job for years and don't want to move, which means you need to find a way around them, which is always resented. New Technologies not implimented quickly enough, and capable technical specialists are not always availible when required, and obviously aren't paid enough. The company needs to try harder to let younger employees develop in the company, rather being suffocated by the cynical, but experienced older personnel employeed above them.

Advice to Management

Forget Rebranding the company's image - get some serious Business Development Managers in place to actual sell our services effectively

reviews filtered by

Oilfield Service Support: boon or bust = have a plan and SAVE your money!

Former Employee - Field Specialist II MWD in Minot, ND (US)
    Former Employee - Field Specialist II MWD in Minot, ND (US)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional benefits: medical, retirement, etc. Salary is good... but you only make big bucks by being in the field.

Cons

If you are a family person and committed to your spouse and children, MWD is not for you. Expect 21-30 days in the field and 7-10 days home before getting called back out. Training of new MWDs can be despicable if you get bounced rig to rig. Excellent opportunities for advancement only after two years

Advice to Management

Your MWD training is hellacious. My manager was bouncing me to a new rig every hitch. I therefore had to relearn what I had just learned for twenty days straight... a total joke, plus some leads don't know anything about teaching the basics of the job or being understanding to the requirements of a new MWD. Pair a new MWD with an experienced one and let the new guy be his shadow until the trainer/senior MWD signs them off.

2. Great place to work

Former Employee - Chemist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Chemist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

Great place to work
    professional
    great salary
    innovative
    friendly
    great work/life balance

Cons

benefits could be a little better