Employees reflect management

Former Employee - Barista  in  Wichita, KS (US)
Former Employee - Barista in Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I very much enjoyed working at my particular B&N in Wichita. Since I was only seasonal, the management made all the difference. They were encouraging and supportive. We looked out for each other. Out of all the places I've worked, working at Barnes and Noble was by far my favorite place to ever work. The management was what made the difference.

Cons

Since I was seasonal, I really saw the changes happen when management changed. I didn't get any benefits since I worked under 30 hours: This let me get a better picture of management. When management changed, so did my hours. The managers who hired me or crossed trained me would give me hours, but new managers rarely (if ever) gave me hours.

Other Reviews for Barnes & Noble

I loved it

Former Employee - Cafe Server  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Cafe Server in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were nice and the company had great benefits. I met a bunch of great people while working here.

Cons

The hours were cut sometimes and customers were rude, but in general, people will always be rude.

Great company but neither inspiring nor atrocious

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid work environment, nothing overly erratic. Steady business with management that is trying to grow and change as quickly as they can.

Cons

Entrenched status quo. While management is trying to change quickly they are many times getting in their own way. Most departments are unstructured and the company has an all hands on deck mentality - which would be fine if that was the intended way to operate and not a bit of an accident.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!