There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

A great opportunity

Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ (US)
Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work with most of their employees.

Cons

Need to eliminate bad hires sooner.

Overall fairness to all employees instead of overseeing flaws do to favortism or not willing to discipline.

1109 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Excellent

Former Employee - Manager in Mansfield, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Mansfield, OH (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, great environment, you work with people that really care about you. Customer base is awesome and you build lasting relationships and makes lots of new friends. We are like a family. Very accommodating to your needs and your schedule. Always willing to work with you as much as possible. Just a really great place to work.

Cons

Way behind in technology, takes the long way around doing things, payroll is very limited so there is never more then a few people working which makes it very difficult to get things done. There is always a lot to do, tons of projects all time. Some of it very important and some of it just busy work that doesn't' make sense and is not a good use of time. There is no pay scale that is made public and the pay is pretty low in some cases based on the amount of work. Raises are min and only once a year. It is next to impossible to get an above standard review regardless of far and above and beyond you go.

None

Working to learn, learning to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Norfolk, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Norfolk, VA (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working up at Barnes and Noble as a temporary cashier. My coworkers were always upbeat and cheerful giving out a WOW experience to each and every customer.

Cons

The RUSH season for a college barnes and noble is iffy. If you're new you struggle to answer questions and stay on top. My first few days I had a buddy but after that I had trouble calling for help with questions and advice when a customer approached me with a problem. The last con I can think of is they hire ALOT of temps so the window to prove yourself is small (especially in my case sadly).

There needs to be a training course for new employees at College Barnes and Nobles. Everyone is busy so it helps when the employee has more knowledge of what it is that they are handling. Another tip would be to encourage the buddy system more. I had one for two days then I was left alone to fend for myself. You do get on the job training more on hand, definitely get that, but you also need to understand that knowledge is power. Help them help the customer.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble